Arowana Tank Dimensions?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

so local freshwater fish will do ??

i mean from the market dead ones??

Hey don't mean to put a downer on things, but Arowana is quite a large responsibility.
You should have at least researched enough to know they are not bottom feeders before buying, and if you have problems finding fish food where you live, are you sure you shouldN't have waited till you got a large tank before buying?

...I don't see a happy end to this Aro!

Hey don't mean to put a downer on things, but Arowana is quite a large responsibility.
You should have at least researched enough to know they are not bottom feeders before buying, and if you have problems finding fish food where you live, are you sure you shouldN't have waited till you got a large tank before buying?

...I don't see a happy end to this Aro!

Find many Silvers that do.....

i can cope up with it's growth i can get a 10 x 3 x 3 tank in a months time mine is just 6 inches right now and my current tank can hold it quite well and my lfs ran out of arowana sticks so i don't think it's my fault and i know arowana ia a top feeder but as you can seei have no option right now and i don't wish to starve the fish till the weekend

Have been searching a bit for aro's myself. Haven't got one but just thinking of tank sizes.

Did you get your upgrade tank?

Of course he didn't.
I would hazard a guess it was never going to happen and the Arowana is no more.

I hope I'm wrong, but I fear I'm not.

So far I've been reading conflicting info on tank sizes.
I'm also aware there are different types of arowana's.
I'm thinking of setting up a tank, will get the correct sized tank first though so he won't have to be moved from tank to tank

Any advice?

Pearls are smaller than Silvers but waaaay more aggressive, i found them to be slower growing in general than the silvers and my Pearl grew from 1.5" with eggsac to 12" in a year and a half in a proper sized tank, he was quarantined in 240L moved and grow on in 340L and moved to a 1500L very quickly... (8x3x2 with huge sump).

Silvers i have seen grow at a scarey rate... allowing thm to feed from the bottom of the tank leaves them searching downwards for food too often, you'll end up with an Aro with dropye.

I had to agree with Gasmask on this one, its shameful someone would make such a superb fish suffer through lack of care and pure selfishness of 'well... i want it!' attitude....

---

That aside, i found getting the Aros as real babies was the best way, they are bloomin fast growing and getting them small means you can pretty much get them to eat what you want...

When they are so young, a floating cube of bloodworm is easy to swap to a block of krill.... mysis.. tubifex... a floating prawn... a bit of chopped fish... a pellet....

Get the timing right for the change in foods each time (not so long they get hooked... but not so fast the fish doesnt get to like the food).

Dry food wise, I found the JBL NovoDragon to be really good and supplemented it with algae/lower protein floating cichlid sticks. From what i read, wild Aros do sometimes scavange tree roots/tuber things and green stuff to supplement their diet and i found adding greenery did amazing things for the Pearl Arros colours! He loved peas!

I did feed a lot of Hikari Massivore Delite (i swear by these pellets for stingrays too!) but i only fed them when my arro was an aggressive enough feeder that he would grab each pellet as soon as it hit the water.

I think peoples BIGGEST mistake with Arros in terms of feeding is offering them live shrimp/feeders. Its a one way road really...

:good:

I'm hi-jacking this thread.

My gf agreed to a bigger tank as I went on a holiday, one that I thought would be rubbish but turned out ok. The talk was over 700ltrs, which soon turned to 900ltr

This past month or two I've been trying to research as I want the tank it will stay in for life.

What I cannot find info on is are they best kept alone or with other aro's?
I believe the austrialian aro has to be kept on its own but that's as much as I could find.
My LFS said he can get some from Peru (he imports all his fish)
Assuming these will be wild caught, will they grow bigger than the average domestically bred?

Oh, and the gf is on board for a tank to house these for life and understands it will need to be a lot bigger than 900ltrs.

I like the silvers myself, she likes the pearls. There will have to be some comprimise on my wants though as I'm getting an aro, and a huge tank.
Oh, and the 350ltr in the livingroom will "have to go" she didn't say it has to be sold, so I won't question her on it anymore. :lol:

Hi the "Peru" Silver Arowana will most likely be Captive Bred.
They will need a MINIMUM of 8x3x3 for life.

Silvers can be kept with other fish, Jardini (pearl) are not recommended to be kept with ANYTHING.
In my experience they turn VERY nasty when they hit the 10" mark.

Well we won't be getting the Jardini then.
This tank is a long way off so I will still be doing plenty of research.

Thanks for your help

I don't know much about keeping arowanas but I love looking at them :D And I know we can get Asians in this country where as most (all?) of Americans can't. Gorgeous colours and from what I've heard pretty moderately aggressive. I know if I had one they'd be the type I'd want.

I don't know much about keeping arowanas but I love looking at them :D And I know we can get Asians in this country where as most (all?) of Americans can't. Gorgeous colours and from what I've heard pretty moderately aggressive. I know if I had one they'd be the type I'd want.

Yup, Americans are out of luck when it comes to Asian Arowana.
Asians are cheaper here in Asia too, but My personal preference is South American for their sheer size!

Most reactions

Back