Arowana on floor for who knows how long

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lostfishguy

Reaction score
I came home and found my foot long arowan on the floor no idea how long. He is in a 125gal tank lid covered bUT has a 3 in gap in back. Never happened before. But any how I discover him lifeless and almost tossed him out. But thought I'd give him a shot. I held him by tail and slowly dragged him backwards. Saw that on animal channel lol. And after a few minutes I saw his gills slowly moving and his mouth begin to open and close. And to my amazement he began to twitch. I let him go and he drifted with current but continued to open and close mouth after some time he began to swim but began numbing into everything. I noticed one of his eyes is clouded over. But he avoids some objects and numbs into others. This morning he is swimming better. Looks better but still crashing into things. Is this normal part of near death fish experience or is there possible long term damage. And if so what should I look out for or keep a eye on. Thanks..

Well, jumping out of their tank and slowly suffocating is pretty traumatizing for a fish. I once had a comet goldfish jump out while I wasn't home. Luckily my sister saw him on the floor and threw him back in the tank. His fins had already gone dry and she had to rip off parts of the tail fin to get him off the cement floor..... He survived, and later jumped out again but I heard him do it so he was only out for a moment.

The eye on your fish probably got dried out or injured. Just let him recover for a while. Seeing as how he survived the night, I think it will survive. Theoretically, the fish may have had some head trama/brain damage from the lack of oxygen. Hopefully that will heal as well.

Thank you. His eye looks better now and he is eating one of his antenna things on his nose is broken though not sure what there called or if they will grow back. But other wise seems to have recovered

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back