Armchair Capello's

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Best football match in years.

Because now it's all over. I don't have to look past hundreds of pieces of crappy merch when I go to sainsburys to buy food. I don't have to put up with so many drunken idiots walking past the house at stupid times of the day and night. I don't have to see the stupid st georges cross everywhere I look (if ever there was a worse choice for a British patron saint I have no idea) I'm still going to have to put up with tv being covered in football crap til the whole thing is over, but on the whole I'm glad. And I think anyone who actually thought we'd be able to win it is deluded, like it or not, our country just isn't producing the footballers that others are.

Bit strong about the flag their chris, I for one love seeing our flag it gives me some sense of national pride at times. A lot of other countries fly their flags all over the country. I think st george is quite fitting for our nations flag, after all we WERE an extremely militarised country and our empire was gained through war being a military saint it seems to fit... they started wearing St georges cross during the crusades which from then on we were a bit of a warmongering nation.

Agree with the drunken thing, agree with the merch however it will in fact be at stupidly discounted prices for example I bought 100 pint sized beer cups with an england flag on for £1 yesterday after the match. It may well be the time to buy an England shirt if you want...

Finally we had no chance, however there's no harm in dreaming.

It's only my opinion on the flag.

We adopted st George as our patron saint, and it is his flag. He was a man who never so much as visited the country when he was alive. So it's not so much that I don't like it as a countries flag, just that I don't think it should have been chosen to start with.

I have no problem with people flying the flag, I just think football is the wrong forum to use it when it's pretty much the only place it's used.

If you're proud of your country and want to show support, don't wait until an international sporting event. Fly that flag loud and proud, all the time, not just when it's the world cup.

On a separate note, that violent past of ours is one reason I'm not exactly proud of my country.

On a separate note, that violent past of ours is one reason I'm not exactly proud of my country.

And it's why I am proud.

Same, our nation actually achieved things because of our "violent past". Funnily enough most of the history was by other nation/races the Vikings/French/Germans/Romans. All shaped our nation into what it is today, the history is so diverse its marvellous.

Also I would fly the flag loud and proud but I'm afraid I will get complaints from a certain type of people... You know who they are. If not, don't ask who they are lol.

Furthermore our violent past put is where we are today, without it we wouldn't achieved anywhere near as much, probably if we took a back seat and played it peaceful we would be behind on science by many many years the world would be different and probably not in a good sense. A lot was achieved throughout our bloody history and well it really is something to be proud of.

I'm proud to see our soldiers walking the streets, I show my upmost support to them and can't congratulate them enough for their service, whether or not I agree with the reasons they are there.

Where as like you said, it's a football team... c'mon it really does seem to be the only time we're so patriotic as a nation when we embarrass ourselves in a sporting event. So yeh I agree.

I think the saint part of our flag was adopted as the guys going on the crusade wanted a symbol on their shield to distinguish themselves as all the nations/factions like france/denmark/venice etc had their own in battle. Yes, they could of picked a better saint though it does someone reflect mostly on our past. As we have been quite a war mongering nation.

Anyway enough about that the fact of the matter is we got absolutely ****** thrashed by a fantastic team and I can see Germany going on to win the world cup. I'd prefer them over Spain/Brazil and Argentina :crazy:

Afterall with our current relations with Argentina and the oil issue in the Falklands if we have to step up to the mark and yet again fight for oil it would be better if they had a distraction :p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back