Arghhhh! I Just Found Molly Fry In My Son's Tank!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I have so many plans on stocks and stuff but my dad said I can only get 1 more tank, which will be for a betta, until I've done this a year, because he thinks I wont like it anymore. Why wouldn't I? He said I wont like all the work, but that's half the fun! I'm half way there though :) he said if I make it we can get a big tank, around 55-100 gallons for our basement, as long as I commit to cleaning it :hyper:

i always wrap a piece of old stocking around the filter pickup held with an elastic band to stop the fry being sucked up

That's not a bad idea. Too late now though, I already added new fish & setup the net.

I have so many plans on stocks and stuff but my dad said I can only get 1 more tank, which will be for a betta, until I've done this a year, because he thinks I wont like it anymore. Why wouldn't I? He said I wont like all the work, but that's half the fun! I'm half way there though :) he said if I make it we can get a big tank, around 55-100 gallons for our basement, as long as I commit to cleaning it :hyper:

You have to answer to your Dad the way I have to answer to my Wife....... :lol:

She loves the fish too but she thinks I'm going overboard, and I am.

What way do you answer? Maybe it's more convincing lol.

My approach is asking him how he feels on random subjects. Like today how do you feel about water falls?. They are soothing and majestic, how would you feel about owning a waterfall?, it'd be cool I guess, how do you feel about making something jappy? It would be nice why? How about a fish tank with all these things you said you'd like? No.

He had a 29, and a 20 gallon growing up. Recently I was talking to my grandma and she told me I should get some ocellaris clowns for my tank because petco has them on sale. When I told her they were saltwater she said no they're not. She can't be told she's wrong. She claims she had some and when I asked how long they lived she said a good 3 months.

I'm going overboard too but that's just what I do. Lol.

Here the Powder Blue Dwarf sniffing around the fry net:
100_0038.jpg

That's a nice one. Are all dwarfs like the same? Or are there species to avoid? (just for dwarf gouramis)

That looks like a very nice looking Dwarf. :D

That's a nice one. Are all dwarfs like the same? Or are there species to avoid? (just for dwarf gouramis)

Dwarf Gouramis are famous for being over bred to the point of weakening their immune system. They are prone to get a variety of ailments including the dreaded Dwarf Gourami Disease, specific to their species which includes Red, Powder Blue, Neon Blue, Flame, etc. variants of Dwarf Gourami.

Have you ever had a Dwarf with the Dwarf Gourami Disease? I heard that it was fairly common.

How can you tell if they have it?

I plan to get a pair of flames and wanna try and get ones without it if I can.

I'm only doing it because it's really my only option for a center piece fish. :(

How can you tell if they have it?

I plan to get a pair of flames and wanna try and get ones without it if I can.

You can't tell, that's the problem. All you can do is check the tank you buy them from. If there are any dead or near dead Gouramis, steer clear.

I've heard that up to 25-30% of Gouramis that are farmed are infected. Once you introduce an infected one to your tank the tank is cursed, more or less.

I lost those Gouramis in my son's tank.

Most reactions

trending

Back