Are these eggs?! No bubbles anymore, but unknown orbs remain?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The poor little guppy was just naïve and got killed for it :(
The older guppy was probably smart enough to see the honey dwarf blowing smoke from his ears so thought it would be best to stay well away. Alternatively he dared the young one to go in and say hi to the gourami...

Leroy Jenkins, world of Warcraft? That game should be avoided due to its addictive nature :)

Honey dwarfs are one of the most peaceful gouramis but as you said, there is always some variation among the same species. You should see some of the agro species of gourami. The Giant Gourami will rip your hand off even when it's not breeding, and they have teeth. One of the pet shops in Perth had a Giant Gourami about 18 inches long. It use to go freakin nuts when anyone walked by and water would splash out the top of the tank and the fish would have its face pushed against the glass trying to bite everyone. It was typical for the species but it was also nuts :)

Omfg! I'll be sure to never get a giant gourami then! That is, unless my wife tries to get more than one cat! :mad: Would a giant gourami eat a cat if it got close enough to get pulled in? Lol. I'm not a huge cat fan, every cat I had, ended up going crazy and crapping on everything, in a vindictive manner.

And ya, Leroy Jenkins from WoW. I dont play anymore, it was VERY addicting! But, it is how I met my wife! She moved nearly 2,000 miles after meeting me for a week, going home for a month, missed me, and moved here! Been together since, was 8 years this last July. :D But I did quit shortly after my son was born, 5 years ago, he is more fun anyways.

But ya, obviously I have some devious guppies, pushing younger dummy guppies to their rooms. That one, Thor, is an A-Hole anyways. He was the first to get a gonopodium out of ALL the babies, and truly does think hes a God. He has squared off with both adult guppies several times, and even attempted to square off with my female yellow gourami, biggest in the tank. He runs as soon as she touches him with her feelers thoufh :p Lol

Ah your place must be fun, feeding nasty cats to fish, bossy little guppies thinking they can go the female gourami but turn tail and run when she feelers him up. But yes if a cat was stupid enough to walk across a giant gourami's tank, the fish would go it, especially if you gave the cat a shove from behind. Sorry I use to keep birds before the cat war of 89. Plus we have a bunch of feral felines around here, well not quite feral but their owners put them out at night to do their thing, and they spray all over the houses and cars around here. It stinks.

before the cat war of 89

What the #@!$ ? Never heard of the cat war of 89?! Lol. Maybe an Aussie thing? I dont like cats either. Well, I do like them, they taste like chicken. But as pets, that's a big NO!

I do believe I may need to remove the male though. He has gotten SUPER AGGRESSIVE! I literally removed EVERY fish, and EVERY decoration from my tank today, and then added a new, VERY LARGE piece of cholla, in the process, eliminating his bubble nest. There were no floater fry left anyways, some swimmers, which I caught some, and caught with a cup, and put in a small container. These never were out of the water, and after I was done with rearranging, I put them back in some floating plants.

Anyways, even after a complete redecorating, and no longer having his nest, and adding the other female back in, (to see if it would curb or direct his aggression anywhere besides EVERYWHERE) he is STILL trying to headbutt/kill/disembowel every creature in the tank. He even stared down spongebob!

So at this point, every creature in my tank, female gouramis, male guppies, Otocinclus, dozens of RCS, ALL absolutely REFUSE to go past the left 1/3 of the tank. If any drift slightly past, he darts out after them. If he sees either female AT ALL, he shoots after them. They are reduced to hiding under driftwood. I know I could try removing them, again, and it MIGHT work, but why is he trying to attack EVERYTHING?!

DID I GET THE ONLY HONEY GOURAMI MORE AGGRESSIVE THAN A PIRANHA OR WHAT?!

I have included a few pics, you can see my awesome cholla piece (dont worry, I spent HOURS cleaning it), and some pictures showing what's going on. So, @Colin_T or ANYONE for that matter, WHAT DO I DO?! What are my options short of draining the water and tossing the tank, or getting rid of everything but shrimp and plants?

20180830_213420.jpg

20180830_213302.jpg

20180830_215722.jpg

20180830_213529.jpg

20180830_215605.jpg

He is acting normally.

He is acting normally.

Why does literally every article I've ever seen on honey gouramis, say they are peaceful, and can be in groups? They should all say "if you want someone to bully every creature large and small in your tank, get a male honey gourami, or maybe an oscar..."

No eggs, no nest, still an A** to every creature in there. I can see wanting to breed with females and chasing them. I can even understand defending his nest against guppies. But shrimp and Otos, gimme a break dude! Not you @NickAu I mean the gourami. :)

But on a serious note: I put him in the 10g with the 5,673,982,755 pest snails, and the 6 or 7 guppy juvies I got left to get rid of. The moment he exited the main tank, the other fish started exploring, including the wild and yellow female gouramis, whom are getting along just fine, "shaking hands" no chasing in the tank whatsoever, which is shocking, as the guppies usually chase each other. But their chasing is NOTHING like the gouramis mach speed turbo dart thrust killer torpedo chasing.... :mad:

BTW, do you like my awesome 30" piece of cholla? My mom picked it up in AZ last winter for me. I got an unlimited supply of replenishments, as she winters down there. :cool:

And another question arises...

Will two females dance with each other? Like the male dances with the female to mate? My yellow female, is doing that to the silver one, who is now silver, with a brown top, and then a brown mid line. When the male and the silver female did this, she was this same color, normally she is all silver, or sometimes silver with a brown stripe, but I only see the brown top the one time before now? The yellow should be female I think, she has the mid line gray stripe, and has never shown throat coloring at all. But if it was a male somehow, that would obviously explain some of the issues.

Hi

Heres what usually happens when you breed Anabantoids like Bettas and Gouramis.

Place a pair of Bettas in the breeding tank, and let them do their thing, Once the female has expelled all her eggs the male chases he away from the bubble nest and at this point you remove the female from the tank for her safety as the male will chase and in most cases kill her while hes looking after the eggs and fry.

The male is still acting aggressive because you disturbed his nest and his babies. Basically he is pissed off with you for stuffing about in the tank. If the males are allowed to look after the eggs and young and not get disturbed, they calm down a couple of weeks later and become happy little vegemites again once the babies have swum away. But if you interfere with them while they have eggs or fry, you end up with a really pissed off dad. :)

Female gouramis will sometimes show off and check each other out but if the other silver one is turning brown, you could have 2 normal males and an orange female.

------------------------
The cat war of 89 was a neighbourhood war between several neighbours and myself. I use to keep Australian finches and small parrots (birds). The neighbours had cats and some neighbours had lots of cats. I had a cat trap (catches them in a cage and they are unharmed) set next to my aviaries in my backyard and caught one of the neighbours cats after it had killed a bird. I took the bird and cat to the neighbours and asked them to replace the bird. I gave them their cat and they told me to get stuffed. A couple of days later and I caught another one of their cats in my aviary (it ripped a hole in the wire and mutilated a number of birds. The cat was taken back to the neighbours with the dead birds and I asked them to replace the birds. Again the cat was alive and well but I was told to get stuffed.

From then on any cat caught in the backyard was put down. This went on for several years with the neighbours collecting cats and putting them out at night so they could do their thing. And I caught and disposed of them as they came onto my property.

After a couple of years of this, I came home from work one day and my aviary door was open. I wasn't sure how it could happen so stuck a padlock and chain thru the wire and around the door. A couple of weeks later I came home and found the chain had been cut and the door was open and a brick was holding the door open. I reported that to the police and was told to f off. The cops didn't care. In the meantime more cats came into the neighbourhood and were caught.

I stuck a padlock on the gate to the backyard and things were fine for a few months. Eventually I came home one day and someone had sliced open every panel of wire on the aviaries. The wire had been pulled apart so there was enough room for an adult human to easily walk thru the gaps. Every bird I had was missing except 3 of them. 2 finches were in their nest on babies and a quail was sitting on eggs. The cops were called but refused to do anything about it. I lost thousands of dollars worth of birds that day and never kept birds again. I did however go on a rampage and removed every cat in the neighbourhood as payback. And I let the owners know who did it. The cops never came around to talk to me which I thought was unusual.

As far as I'm concerned, if a cat is kept on its property then it's not a problem. But when people put them out at night and they run amuck, spray on houses and cars, have fights at 2am and wake up every dog in the area, and kill native animals, then they are considered feral and get disposed of. I currently have issues with a lady up the road who puts her cats out at night and they do just that. She also lets her dog out in the morning and it wanders up to my place and craps on my front lawn. She's been told to control her pets and keep them on her property but if she doesn't, she will quickly find out that I am not a nice person.

Last edited:
but if the other silver one is turning brown, you could have 2 normal males and an orange female

I know, for sure, without a shadow of a doubt, that the silver and brown stripes is female, and the orange/black/yellow is a male, both of the wild type. The yellow I think is a female, and others on forum have said it appears to be female, but I guess there's no guaranteed way to yellow with the golden/yellow variety? I know the yellow has never had color changes, except for a gray horizontal stripe midline, sometimes it's not really there, and sometimes its darker, but it doesnt seem to correlate with any specific activity yet.

she will quickly find out that I am not a nice person.

I believe you are an EXTREMELY NICE person! You let that happen how many times, without severe repercussions? (I mean no offense by this, by the way) You let things escalate a LOT further than I would have, or most people around here even. I would have disemboweled the first cat, on top of their windshield the first time, and obviously things would have escalated further if it happened again! Of course, suppose some of it is upbringing. I had a cat as a child, one day it jumped on the counter, and ate into the plastic bread bag, and ate some chunks out of maybe 1/4 of the loaf. My stepfather at the time, took it out with the neighbor, and used it to train their dogs for mountain lion hunting. It was shot out of the tree, fell (still alive), and was ripped to pieces by two plott hounds (this is from the story, I didnt witness it). But ever since then, the few cats I have lived with, by choice or because of someone I lived with, have ALL been vindictive little _______ and there is nothing you can say about them, that will upset me, cuz I hate them too! :) Though none of them cost me like they cost you! :eek:

Place a pair of Bettas in the breeding tank, and let them do their thing, Once the female has expelled all her eggs the male chases he away from the bubble nest and at this point you remove the female from the tank for her safety as the male will chase and in most cases kill her while hes looking after the eggs and fry.

I saw online, where it stated " if you want to breed the honey gourami, remove the female after the eggs are fertilized, remove male after they are free swimming." But NOTHING about if they breed in a community tank, the male will kill anything that moves, any decoration that looks like it might move, and then harass the females until they are frightened to even take a breath of air! Most information on them, says they are fine in groups, and in community tanks, and to me, that means they wont kill the other fish if they venture past 1/3 of the tank. Like I said, I could understand if they are near the babies, even if they are at the bottom underneath the babies, but on the complete opposite end of the aquarium, minding their own business, and he charges them, that's just ridiculous. And he was doing it way before I messed with the tank at all.

I didnt even do a water change on my normal day, and went an extra 4 days before I decided I would intervene, as he broke down the divider, and this got himself stuck on the opposite side of his babies. My nitrates weren't high, ~10ppm, the hornwort keeps it low, obviously I wouldnt have to change water every week for nitrates, but I do it to pick up scraps, plant, matter, etc, in the gravel, but that wasnt making him extra aggressive either. I think he is simply a jerk.

I am leaving him in the 10g indefinitely. I will possibly try putting a female in, after everything else is out, and do it like some of the videos I've seen, with a divider, so he can see her, but not harass her, let him get a nest up, then let them do their thing, then remove female back to community tank. Just a bummer because he is very handsome, and the colors are very striking, but I'm not gonna have him slaughter everyone in my community tank...

I think you may have the only psychopathic gourami in the world :(

Over the years i have had eggs many times, and sometimes a few even lasted long enough to hatch. None of my males ever behaved like yours. Yes, they did chase any fish that went near the bubble nest, but only part way across the tank and they never actually made contact. They were content with just chasing off the other fish.
By the sound of yours, even if you regularly destroy any bubble nest it might not stop him spawning. One male I had never bothered with a bubble nest and just collected the eggs round the heater cable to anchor them.

I think you may have the only psychopathic gourami in the world

^That! For honey gourami of course.

My Male didnt actually use his bubble nest, he couldnt get them to stick until after the eggs hatched. He just kept putting them under frogbit. I think all or most of. the eggs hatched, I KNOW that nothing got close enough to mess any of it up, and I stayed out of the tank, other than putting a divider in, and then fixing it when he broke it.

It's been two days now, with the two females in the community tank, and the male in the 10g. The females havent had any chasing like they did before when male was with them. They even follow each other, in a mellow manner, and see them dance, a sort of side by side tail fin wiggle, and then touch feelers, and then go exploring together. The male in the other tank, has toned down his colors quite a bit, so maybe hes out of his "mood" but I dont know.

I will play it safe, and leave him there for now, and maybe in a few days see if he can handle having a female or not. Gonna wait until I get the last few guppy juvie out before I do that though. If he does the same chase across the entire tank, and randomly attack female when she is on the opposite side of the tank, then I'll know he is just a mentally unstable fish, and he wont get the pleasure of a ladies company ever again.

It's just my luck that I would find the most aggressive individual, in a normally peaceful breed. I make sure to have immaculate conditions for the fish, to the point of upsetting wife, losing sleep, and spending too much, and it's not enough to keep a community. Maybe I SHOULD rehome all my fish, and get one pea puffer, and let him have the run of the whole 20g?

There is another option. You have a young male that is showing off and throwing his weight around because it's his first batch of babies. He might calm down a bit as he matures. It's a lot like teenage boys, they are 10 foot tall and bullet proof and get into all sorts of trouble. As they get older they calm down a bit, (well most do).

Just give yours a few months alone and then put him in with the girls. If he goes nuts again then you have a deranged crazy loony fish. :)

There is another option. You have a young male that is showing off and throwing his weight around because it's his first batch of babies. He might calm down a bit as he matures. It's a lot like teenage boys, they are 10 foot tall and bullet proof and get into all sorts of trouble. As they get older they calm down a bit, (well most do).

Just give yours a few months alone and then put him in with the girls. If he goes nuts again then you have a deranged crazy loony fish. :)

Sounds good. He is still in the 10g with the last few juvie guppies, an oto, and a couple shrimp I havent managed to catch yet. I know Otos should have company, I stuck him in there after I gave him meds, he was the sick one. He improved some from meds, then improved greatly after putting him in that dirty tank. Eventually I'm pulling everything from that tank, and dosing it with something nasty to kill the snail orgy. Not sure what, bleach, or who knows. I'll have a sponge filter cycled from other tank to put back in afterwards.

My go to for snails is salt and or copper. If they are Malaysian livebearing snails then supersaturate the water with salt and leave it for a week. Then drain, refill, drain and refill with clean water.

Most other snails are easy enough to wipe with copper but it can leave a residue behind that can affect the shrimp so salt is safer for all snails.

Take fish and plants out, then add salt until it won't dissolve any more, then add more salt so there is a layer of salt on the bottom. Leave the salt in the tank for a week then flush it out.

The other option is to take plants and fish out, rinse plants as they are taken out to wash the snails off. You can dip the plants in a bucket of salt water for a minute and the snails should drop off the plants. Then put plants in freshwater. Scoop the gravel out and boil it. Wash the tank out with fresh water and set it back up. You will probably get an ammonia spike from the dead snails in the gravel but once that settles down the fish can go back in.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back