Are metal tools safe for fish tanks?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

VioletThePurple

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm not talking about metal tools specifically marketed towards tanks, but more so any metal. I looked it up and the answer was no, but that was answering the context of metal decorations. I mean like putting scissors in the tank to cut plants, using tweezers to aquascape, scraping off algae with a metal razor, stuff like that. The metal wouldn't be in there for long, but would it still leak off toxins into the water?

I'm a little suspicious of things with moving parts, like scissors, because I wonder if they have any lubricating oils in them.

I've seen stainless aquascaping tools, and the amount of time a painter's razor would be in a tank is nothing. The water comes through pipes that would terrify us, in many cases....

Like Boundava states, they do have specific trimming, cutting tools at your xlocal pet supply places. Fluval makes some nice curved scissors and I believe they have a kit also with tweezers and the scissors. I’m the same way, I try to avoid putting common house things in the tank including using cups, containers. All my stuff is marked “Ed’s Fish Tank”. Sounds dumb, but Wife know‘s not to use Ed’s stuff. And YES, these tools are made to use in water. I even have a big tweezer for feeding my Fire Belly Toads their crickets. 100% safe.
-Ed-

All my stuff is marked “Ed’s Fish Tank”. Sounds dumb, but Wife know‘s not to use Ed’s stuff.
Is there some sort of training program for that, and does it work on daughters, too?

Full disclosure: I would NEVER use @TheLavenderBadger 's stuff without permission.

I had someone using my buckets for mopping cause they didn't want to look for the actual mop bucket. A long discussion and a sharpie FISH ONLY sign on my uncontaminated buckets solved that issue permanently. Also the treat of financial reimbursement for any accidental deaths and consequential destruction of tank, filters and substrate really nailed my point home. :devil:

Metals tools/ utensils are fine as long as they are free of chemicals (oil, grease, etc). I use normal household scissors to prepare fish food and trim plants. I'm not spending $50 on a pr of brand name aquarium scissors when a $5 pr from any supermarket will work just as well

Whist. No training, more learning curve on Wife's part after she ruined a small acrylic tank I had, thought she would clean some algae off the tank with one of those kitchen sink scrubbies when I was at work, not a good situation when I saw it, they do a number on acrylic to say the least! She really got the algae off, it’s a-shame I could hardly see my Betta… So, after our discussion, I told her use only things marked Ed’s Fish-Tank! Now she stays away from my tanks!Ha!
-Ed-

About the only place I use stainless steel is in the screws I used to attach a piece of tile to the bottom of driftwood so it will stand erects in a tank. That screw can be there for many years.

But consider that iron rusts in water. A small screw that dissolves as rust over the years is likely not enough of a threat to even consider.

I happen to have one Stainless steel scissors , but it was originally sold as a kitchen scissors. Joyce Chen scissors.
iu

Most reactions

Back