Aquatic Foods Bloodworms, Freeze Dried Fresh; good for everyday?.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

From the best of my knowledge bloodworms are not suitable for daily consumption due to their high fat content. They are better fed as a treat. Bloodworms are not nutritionally complete, so by feeding only that your fish would be missing out on other important vitamins and minerals needed for bodily functions.

If you want to avoid a mess during feeding don't overfeed or you could try a high quality pellet formulated for the species of fish you have based on their dietary requirements.

Bloodworm is not particularly nutritious to be honest...brineshrimp on the other hand is very good. Most aquarists prefer frozen over freezedried. It is best to offer a variety of foods that you rotate on a daily basis.

Personally I used green flakes, hikari micro pellets, bug bites and frozen foods (which consist of brine shrimp, black mosquito larvae, bloodworm and daphnia)

Yes, but these are dehydrated by an industrial process, I think freezing ...

I've given up on frozen foods. The quality has gone totally down the drain. I can't prove it but I think there are pathogens that come back to life from it in your tank and the frozen brine shrimp these days stinks. It used to smell good. I am culturing various live foods and fruit flies are working well for me. I have a fellow AKA guy that makes his own prepared foods and I buy it from him. It's better and cheaper. Just my half baked opinion but my fish are healthy and breeding regularly.

Yes, but these are dehydrated by an industrial process, I think freezing ...
If that's what you prefer to use then go for it 👍🏻 find brine shrimp though instead of bloodworm

I have never tried this product in the aquarium, i'm just trying to find out how to solve the problem 'cleaning versus food'.

Thanks

The one I used to buy came in cubes. I'd break the amount I needed off then soaked it in a tiny cup with a bit of tank water... then feed it to the fish

Last edited:
Bloodworms should never be fed daily, regardless of fresh, frozen or freeze-dried. Not only are they not very nutritious, they do cause digestive/intestinal problems.

It would help to know the species of fish you have, so that we can steer you to the best foods. Not all fish are the same.

If the "flake" is causing a mess, you are probably feeding way too much. But we need to know the fish species to assess.

Species: Guppies and Swordtails

The problem is the animal and its environment, if the type of feeding generates pollution I must look for a solution that satisfies both the fish and the environment in which they lives.

Species: Guppies and Swordtails

The problem is the animal and its environment, if the type of feeding generates pollution I must look for a solution that satisfies both the fish and the environment in which they lives.

All food creates pollution once it passes through the fish. Excess food not eaten creates additional pollution, and here again you may be feeding too much, or the wrong food.

Guppies and swordtails are omnivorous but they do need some herbivorous food (the green "veggie" type like algae and spirulina). But they also eat insects and insect larvae. Worms are not a part of their diet, at least not regularly, so another reason why the bloodworms are not good.

Fluval Bug Bites, the pellet form (as opposed to the flake) is an excellent food. They also make a "veggie" type with the green stuff. The flake is good. But feed minimally...only a few seconds and it should all be gone, as in eaten. Once a day max, but many of us miss one or two days a week, does no harm. Fish will always appear hungry, but their instinct tells them to eat when they find food in their habitat, so they will always appear "hungry."

The only time you should feed blood worms daily is with frogs but even then it is not the best thing to feed daily. Brine shrimp is much better daily. If you really want to feed a worn black worms seems better then blood in a quick Google but you really should give a variety of food

The food problem is that the fish won't eat the pink flakes in TetraMin Tropical Flakes so they end up on the bottom of the tank.

Rather than look for a single food such as worms or daphnia, which won't provide all the nutrients the fish need, you may have more success by changing to a different brand of prepared food. Bug bites have been recommended as an alternative.

Edit to add - if you do use freeze dried food as a treat, the best way to use this is to rehydrate it in a small amount of tank water in a separate cup before adding it to the tank.

Both guppies and swords need some vegetable content in their food.

Bloodworms are a food many people, like me, discover they have a fierce allergy to. It isn't uncommon - it's one of the proteins in the fly larvae. I can't go near the stuff, but the allergy developed over time. It was a great conditioning food for breeding egg layers.

It's too protein based for livebearers. Go with a different food, and feed way less.

Most reactions

Back