Aquarium Emergency

Marc999

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I was hoping more experienced fish lovers could help me diagnose this freshwater aquarium dilemma:

Prior to an 8 day vacation, I changed 50% of the water, thoroughly cleaned the Penguin Mini Bio-Wheel (tubing, inner casing etc). Also thoroughly vacuumed the gravel. I did not bother cleaning the Tetra Whisper to avoid disrupting too much beneficial bacterial (i've loaded it with aqua clear sponges)

Aquarium: 10 Gallon glass
Power Filters: 1 Mini Penguin Bio-Wheel, 1 (smallest model) Tetra Whisper.
Temperature: 80 degrees F.
PH: approx. ~7.0
Nitrates: upon return from vacation a nasty 80 ppm.

***The fish were not fed at all during 8 days, leading me to conclude perhaps 1 resident had fallen to starvation, leading to escallating ammonia levels, but starvation seems unlikely to me.***
***The only new procedure I did at that time out of the ordinary was the cleaning of the Penguin Bio-Wheel. (no,not the wheel itself). This was the very first time that filter was cleaned.***

Unlucky Inhabitants upon return from 8 day vacation.
1 bronze cory (DECEASED)
1 peppered cory (DECEASED)
1 bristle nose catfish (DECEASED)
2 zebra danios (DECEASED)
1 swordtail (DECEASED)

Sole Survivors:
6 rummy-nose tetras (2 different species)
1 Bolivian Ram

2 Java Ferns

Routine Aquarium (1.5 yrs. operation) Maintenance:
If there is anything I have learned from fish keeping it is to maintain consistancy. I've been doing 50% water changes on the 10 gallon along with appropriate chlorine/chloramine removal product, vacuuming gravel every other week. Fish are fed every other day.
I have had no problems up until my return from the 8 day vacation to find 6 dead inhabitants (only 3 bodies found).

Any idea what might have happened?

Any ideas/suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks,
Marc

Your ammonia was high due to the many dead bodies beginning to rot (eww). They probably starved because you did not get them used to being fed less before leaving. It is always best to prepair them by gradualy reducing their feeding and skipping days. Then feed just before you go. They may also have fallen victims to internal parasites which had not effected them as negatively while they were recieving regular feedings but now took their toll.

Another factor is your tank was overstocked. Not saying that it was so overstocked you couldn't take care of it, but you should be doing maintainence on a weekly basis at least with that many fish in there. Also, 8 days is an awfully long time with no food. I would recommend on your next vacation, that you find a friend or neighbor to come over and feed your fish. Even if you had them come just once or twice in a week's time, there would be no worries of your fish starving.

Thanks folks,

I appreciate the analysis. Likely starvation was the culprit; I have since changed 50% of the water upon arriving home and another 25% every other day in an attempt to decrease the nitrates.

Interesting that the sole survivors turned out to be species I considered fragile such as the Bolivian Ram and Rummy Nose Tetras...

I just bought 2 very small corydora (peppered) yesterday. Oops, they were dead the next morning...apparently the nitrates are still not in check. This is the last time I deal with a 10 gallon aquarium ;)

thanks again,
Marc

Hello again,

One more note, even with the water changes the remaining fish do not appear energetic whatsoever....hiding in corners...even food (flake or brine shrimp) is almost entirely ignored.

Perhaps they are in hibernation or used to not being fed...;)

Marc

They should soon recover. I wouldn't add more fish.

And something to think about with the more 'fragile' species is that once acclimated, they can be exceptionaly hardy. I keep being shocked by the number of lone neons I've seen live through several cycles and otos that become the hardiest fish once they have settled down.

Then again, it could be old tank syndrome...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back