Aqua Fx 500 Or Arcadia Eco Aqua Led Lighting

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

adzilla88

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm awaiting delivery of a 5x2x2 tank and currently debating what kind of lighting to fit. I originally wanted an Arcadia Eco Aqua 1150mm Daylight lamp (£102 each), although there appears to be some kind of supply problem with that particlar one, as everywhere is sold out. I turned my attention to some alternative LED lighting and came accross the Aqua FX 500.

Just to note, I will not be running anything else apart from the LED's, so these would be the sole generator of light into the aquarium.

Anyway, I was wondering, I saw someone on this forums (cant remember who) had the Arcadia lights in exactly the same tank (5x2x2 ND Aquatics) and it looked pretty bright. I dont want the lighting to be that bright anyway, as I wont have any plants, just wood and rocks as decor. Would the Tropical lamp in the 1150mm size be just as bright, and what is the difference between the Daylight and Tropical?

Also, I can get the FX500 off ebay for £85, but I dont think one LED tube would be enough, so I would probably get an extra tube for £50, meaning I would be looking at approx £130-£140 if I took this option. I really like the features of this, but I'm worried the light output may not be enough for my 5ft tank.

Would it be wiser to just use 2 x regular t8 tubes and forget about LED's. This would cost £40ish for the Starter Unit, plus 2 x t8 flourescent tubes.

Does anyone have any recommendations or experiences with either of the above products or other LED lamps to help me come to a decision?

Cheers
Adam

i've always found leds to be really poor for the money. a starter kit and t5 lights is probably your best option. you could end up spending loads on leds and still not be happy. i've always bought cheap ones though so really wouldn't know if the top end ones are any good. i use a starter kit and a 38w arcadia tube 42 inch or 1050mm with a reflector strip looks fine for my 3 and a half foot tank. i suppose it would be a bit better if i got another one but looks ok. it leaves a bit of the back of the tank a bit shady so if you wanted it all lit up i'd go with two. you can almost see what i mean on this pic.

Attachments

• pic901.jpg
    pic901.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 93
Matt lee has the leds, with the nd tanks and one light per is more than enough

Thanks walkers, I knew I'd seen someone post a picture of their 1150mm arcadia's and it looked pretty bright, more than capable of lighting his 5x2x2. I don't really want an overly bright tank anyway, if you know what I mean.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast
  • Essjay

Members online

Back