Any shrimp species better for a nano tank?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

JenniferRose

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2.5 gallon Aqueon tank that had a betta but is now empty. I've read alot of info about what actually can live in small tanks (has filter and heater) and come across a lot of suggestions about trying shrimp. Now I'm wondering if a 2.5 would work for a few ghost shrimp, amano shrimp or red cherrys(top pick so far). I don't trust 9 out of 10 "care sheets" out there though so thought I'd ask here. (I research everything to the hills before I do it.) Is the bio load of these shrimp low enough that a 2.5 is viable?

I'd test the water constantly as I have been seeing they are incredibly intolerant to even slightly poor water parameters. I'd definitely cycle the tank first. (it was cycled, but since the betta that was in it passed from an internal infection I'm thinking a total redo is in order) I have two other betta tanks and they are tested every other day unless one is being temperamental, then I test it every day.

My tanks are live planted tanks. I'd also put lots of rocks and hide places in there as I've seen most sites suggest that shrimp need places to hide and explore.

If these shrimp are a viable option for the tank do you have any suggestions about where to get them? Petsmart often has the ghost shrimp, but I've never seen the others. And after working at petsmart I'm not real keen on buying any fish from them.

If the bio load of shrimp is too high, can anything go in this tank?

I think you should be fine with red cherry shrimp don't know about the other 2 as I have never kept them.
Water parameters are very important with shrimp.

Ghost shrimp I think may get to big for the tank, especially since I have seen so many horror stories of where the shop has sold "ghost" shrimp that turn out to be juvi macrobrachium shrimp. Macros get big and can be very aggressive towards each other and other tank inhabitants, they are also quite fond of eating snails by all accounts too.
Personally I would go with Cherry Shrimp, good quality Reds should not cost the earth and are pretty hardy with regards to pH and gH. Numbers wise their bioload will be small until they begin breeding ( and believe me they can put rabbits to shame for population explosions), but the filter/ tanks bacteria should grow at a similar rate to the shrimps numbers as they multiply. An interesting thing I have found with cherry shrimp is that when in high concentrations in a small tank they tend to remain a fairly small shrimp. Where as when put into a large tank (or pond) with plenty of room they get much larger but still no greater than 4-5cm.

Once your confident with red cherry shrimp care, if you wanted to add other colour morphs to your other tanks there are lots to choose from. My personal favourites would be Rilli and Blue or Black Cherries. Just don't mix the colour morphs into one tank otherwise the offspring will pretty much turnout like wild types that nobody wants because they are pretty plain at a casual glance.

Depending on your water parameters and temp, you could try Crystal shrimp (red or black), but these are a much harder shrimp to keep and maintain and I would not suggest them as a first time shrimp keeper. Crystals can be kept with cherry shrimp but most people who have done this find that one species tends to suffer since the two species water requirements are quite different. Mostly when mixing these two species people tend to cater to the Crystal shrimps requirements and let the Cherry shrimp just hang in there. This also reduces the cherry shrimps over population of the tank.

Being in the US I believe that there are other shrimp potentially available to you (may have to mail order them), that do not breed in fresh water (well they breed but the larval young have brackish and salt water stages and do not survive in a fresh water aquarium), shrimp such as Pinocchio Shrimp.

cherry shrimp or amano shrimp is the route I suggest for you to go, pretty simple shrimp =) not to big and not to small

Did you treat the tank for your Betta illness? The only reason I ask is that if the treatment contained copper and any remains in the tank even in trace amounts it will killl your shrimp as copper is highly toxic to shrimp.

As far as heating goes I wouldn't bother, unless the ambient room temperature fluctuates a lot in your house, Cherry and Amano shrimp would be great choices, they're hardy, cheap and cherry shrimp will readily breed as well provided the temperature drops no lower than 15/16 Celsius.

Personally I'd buy shrimp online as these tend to be the cheapest, In the U.K. I've seen shrimp prices at £3 each which is extortionate, eBay is a good bet.

The one thing you need to be careful of is the filter intake shrimp are notorious for getting into filters and getting chopped up by the impeller.

I have a 6 gallon with some male endlers and I have an amano that is an excellent cleaner upper!

I just added an orange Sunkist shrimp who's super adorable and very active.

I was a little worried because he's much smaller than the amano and my amano is always hungry and very bold but they seem to be doing just fine.

I covered my filter intake with some mesh from a media bag to not suck the little guy up... as nick mentioned above.

Never thought I'd love shrimp as they kinda creeped me out at first but they are definitely the life of the party and I adore them!

Attachments

• IMG_9232.JPG
    IMG_9232.JPG
    423.5 KB · Views: 435
Hi I'm new on here live in England and am after some cherry shrimp. Does anyone on here sell or is there an area for sales.

Thanks

Most reactions

Back