Any nice footage of Lamb chop rasboras?

I keep forgetting to set some tap water aside to out-gas it. If i tested some now without letting it sit, would the test be any good? I'm happy to test it now before I log off for the night
I think that's only for pH, straight out the tap should be fine for a nitrate test

Oh that's perfect then! I'll get to testing
If it's the API liquid you have to shake that second bottle for 30secs vigorously, and then shake the tube with the water and x2 reagents in vigorously for 60secs, it's a good workout.

If it's the API liquid you have to shake that second bottle for 30secs vigorously, and then shake the tube with the water and x2 reagents in vigorously for 60secs, it's a good workout.
On nitrates, have you tested the tap water on its own? It can have nitrate, and you want to know this.

I've followed the book's instructions exactly, and I have a multi-timer app on my phone. So the results should be correct. Using the colour chart I'd estimate there is 8ppm Nitrate??? I never would have guessed there was any at all!

I've followed the book's instructions exactly, and I have a multi-timer app on my phone. So the results should be correct. Using the colour chart I'd estimate there is 8ppm Nitrate??? I never would have guessed there was any at all!
@Byron And what was the recent reading in the main tank again for Nitrate with the problem algae

OK, with 8 ppm nitrate in the source (tap) water, you want to keep nitrates in the aquarium as close to that as possible. You possibly have nitrates due to the plant substrate (this is common). Nitrates naturally occur from overstocking fish, overfeeding fish, no plants, insufficient water changes including a good clean of the filter and substrate in open areas. Starting off with no fish yet, you want nitrates down around 10 ppm before fish go in. Again, I don't know how realistic this is due to the plant substrate.

OK, with 8 ppm nitrate in the source (tap) water, you want to keep nitrates in the aquarium as close to that as possible. You possibly have nitrates due to the plant substrate (this is common). Nitrates naturally occur from overstocking fish, overfeeding fish, no plants, insufficient water changes including a good clean of the filter and substrate in open areas. Starting off with no fish yet, you want nitrates down around 10 ppm before fish go in. Again, I don't know how realistic this is due to the plant substrate.
I did a water change of around 70-80% earlier, down to about 8ppm Nitrate now. I'll keep testing the water to see if anything changes

Could the nitrates be part of the normal cycle from the ammonia? But that would only be possible if the plants were not gobbling up the ammonia first I guess.

Could the nitrates be part of the normal cycle from the ammonia? But that would only be possible if the plants were not gobbling up the ammonia first I guess.
It could be! There was loads of ammonia leeching from the soil in the tank's first few weeks

Yes. Nitrates have two primary sources in an aquarium. First is as a result of the nitrification by ammonia-oxidation and then nitrite-oxidation bacteria/archaea. In a tank without live plants, this is significant. In a tank with live plants, including some fast-growers, it is not usually the source assuming everything is in balance. The plants out-compete the nitrifying bacteria for ammonia/ammonium, so significantly less is taken up by bacteria. And when plants grab the ammonia/ammonium, nitrite and nitrate do not occur as byproducts.

The second source of nitrate is the organic matter itself. This is directly related to the fish load, fish feeding, substrate and filter cleaning, and water changes. Even with live plants, the organic matter including dissolved and solid can be substantial if the biological system is not balanced and adequately maintained.

Nitrate in the source water is obviously another source, and unfortunate when it is present.

Yes. Nitrates have two primary sources in an aquarium. First is as a result of the nitrification by ammonia-oxidation and then nitrite-oxidation bacteria/archaea. In a tank without live plants, this is significant. In a tank with live plants, including some fast-growers, it is not usually the source assuming everything is in balance. The plants out-compete the nitrifying bacteria for ammonia/ammonium, so significantly less is taken up by bacteria. And when plants grab the ammonia/ammonium, nitrite and nitrate do not occur as byproducts.

The second source of nitrate is the organic matter itself. This is directly related to the fish load, fish feeding, substrate and filter cleaning, and water changes. Even with live plants, the organic matter including dissolved and solid can be substantial if the biological system is not balanced and adequately maintained.

Nitrate in the source water is obviously another source, and unfortunate when it is present.
Thank you!
How often would you recommend cleaning the filter sponge? I've seen people leave it until it affects the flow of the filter, and others who clean the filter sponge very regularly

Thank you!
How often would you recommend cleaning the filter sponge? I've seen people leave it until it affects the flow of the filter, and others who clean the filter sponge very regularly

On my tanks with a sponge filter or an internal motorized sponge filter, I rinsed them under the tap at every water change. You want to remove the organics promptly.

Most reactions

Back