My planted 105L Tank (28-29 Gal) and related questions

rebe

Fishaholic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Thank you for your help on my posts so far. I have a couple of open threads on various topics but they often cross over and get confusing. So I'm making this general one for questions, discussions, and updates so that things don't get confusing. I will link my previous threads that could be relevant in case people want/need to go back to those. Attached to this post is a PDF containing information about my planted tank set up.

I won't put any questions or updates on this post directly (Post #1), but I will reply to this with questions etc, if that makes any sense.
Thank you! :fish:

Attachments

• My planted tank.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 16
Here is an update on my tank:
I finally got my floating plants! Water spangles (salvinia auriculata.)

I recently performed a 70%-80% water change to remove as much of the new brown algae as possible.

Fish are arriving soon! 15 Hengeli rasboras, they are supposed to arrive this week.

Attachments

• Floating plants 2.jpg
    Floating plants 2.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Floating Plants.jpg
    Floating Plants.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 15
  • Floating Plants 3.jpg
    Floating Plants 3.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 13
  • close up2.jpg
    close up2.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 18
  • my tank.jpg
    my tank.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Close up1.jpg
    Close up1.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 18
Question:
My main tank seems to be cycled (as in a planted cycle), there has been lots of plant growth. However the QT tank I set up and pretty much neglected, is not cycled. The rasboras will be my first fish.

Should I add them to my main planted tank, or essentially do a fish-in cycle in the quarantine tank?

I could swap the filter media between the two tanks, but I don't know how helpful that would be, because it was a planted not fishless cycle.

Question:
My main tank seems to be cycled (as in a planted cycle), there has been lots of plant growth. However the QT tank I set up and pretty much neglected, is not cycled. The rasboras will be my first fish.

Should I add them to my main planted tank, or essentially do a fish-in cycle in the quarantine tank?

I could swap the filter media between the two tanks, but I don't know how helpful that would be, because it was a planted not fishless cycle.
Test notes.jpg

Here is an update on my tank:
I finally got my floating plants! Water spangles (salvinia auriculata.)

I recently performed a 70%-80% water change to remove as much of the new brown algae as possible.

Fish are arriving soon! 15 Hengeli rasboras, they are supposed to arrive this week.
Wow!!! All I can say is lucky Hengeli rasboras, because once they get into your tank, they won't want to live anywhere else ever again! I think they will love having those floating plants you got. Beautful looking set up.

Question:

Me personally, I wouldn't put the fish into the QT tank if it's not cycled, although with the QT tank being a smaller water volume, it would not be hard to do heavy water changes in the event of ammonia or nitrite readings. However, once those fish get out of the packing from when they were delivered they probably need to be in whatever the best parameters available, and whatever the least stressful environment there is, and that seems like the main tank which currently has no fish.

Or, before the fish come, you could test out your theory with your filter media in the main tank, and it might not have a big stock of nitrifying bacteria as the plants would have gobbled some of the ammonia first, but there might be some bacteria and you could put half of the media in the QT and see if that ammonia level in the QT drops anytime soon. As long as the ammonia in the QT is not crazy high, and it's dechlorinated water, then any bacteria on the sponge from the main tank should not be harmed, so in that way, nothing to lose? If that make sense?

I hope others respond, some good and important questions/issues here.

I agree on not using the QT if ammonia or nitrite is showing, as it is here (post #4). If you could dump some floating plants in, it might work. But if ammonia or nitrite are not zero, do not add fish.

I agree on not using the QT if ammonia or nitrite is showing, as it is here (post #4). If you could dump some floating plants in, it might work. But if ammonia or nitrite are not zero, do not add fish.
Good point there, if the fish do not end up coming until the end of the week, might be enough time to put some of those floaters in the QT and they will start gobbling ammonia as well. You will need that QT running nice anyway for when your next lot of fish come.

Wow!!! All I can say is lucky Hengeli rasboras, because once they get into your tank, they won't want to live anywhere else ever again! I think they will love having those floating plants you got. Beautful looking set up.
Thank you!! :yahoo:

Thank you Alex and Byron for your replies!
once those fish get out of the packing from when they were delivered they probably need to be in whatever the best parameters available, and whatever the least stressful environment there is, and that seems like the main tank which currently has no fish.
That's a really good point! I'm just worried that if one of them doesn't make it, I won't be able to remove it without disturbing things looking for it. That was my top reason for QT. You made a point about medications being troublesome for plants in a previous thread, would it be likely for them to be carrying something or treating an illness a "just in case" scenario? I could be lucky and not have any sick/infected fish too.

Or, before the fish come, you could test out your theory with your filter media in the main tank, and it might not have a big stock of nitrifying bacteria as the plants would have gobbled some of the ammonia first, but there might be some bacteria and you could put half of the media in the QT and see if that ammonia level in the QT drops anytime soon.
I think that's a good idea too. I could either swap the entire sponge or cut it in half. With no updates from the fish company yet, I definitely have at least 24-48 hours. That might not be enough to test it.

if the fish do not end up coming until the end of the week, might be enough time to put some of those floaters in the QT and they will start gobbling ammonia as well.
If you could dump some floating plants in, it might work.
I have enough floating plants to transfer some into the QT, and some hornwort cuttings. The problem with adding floating plants into the QT is that right now, there is no space at all between the water's surface and the black plastic lid. So there would be no space (without lowering the water level) presumably not enough light for the water spangle? I'm sure the hornwort would be okay with the ambient light coming in from the clear sides of the QT, although there isn't an awful lot of ambient light. It's not a very bright room.

One thought I have about using the QT, is will the stress of the smaller QT be worth it for the fish?
The QT isn't cycled, so I think even with the floating plants, bottled bacteria and transferred filter media, I will probably have to do quite a few water changes. The QT only holds 32L, and that's without any space for floating plants. I'm not sure how much of a bio load fifteen 1-inch fish will have, but I'm sure it could raise ammonia levels in such a small tank pretty quickly.
To make space for the floating plants, the only option would be to decrease the water level even further. I can't just take the lid off, I have two cats who are keen supervisors. For the cats, it would be like shooting fish in a barrel!
Then I'll also have to stress them by transferring them to the bigger tank eventually.

Below are some points I could think of, there might be more I've forgotten.

Main Planted Tank
  • Plant-cycled
  • Higher plant to water ratio
  • More natural environment
  • Hiding places
  • Larger water volume (105L vs 32L), more stable and ammonia would be more diluted
  • First round of fish, no other fish to infect
  • Wouldn't need to move the fish from the QT
Quarantine Tank​
  • (Not Cycled)
  • No risk of damaging plants with potential medications/treatments
  • Easier to change water due to smaller volume
  • No hiding spots to conceal any bodies, and easier to see the fish at all times
  • Dimmer for the fish
  • Easier to remove uneaten food or other debris

if ammonia or nitrite are not zero, do not add fish.
I'll make sure of that, I can test right before the fish go in!

As you don't currently have any fish I'd put the new ones straight into the main tank as there are no other fish to worry about, and then you have time to focus on getting the QT tank cycled for whenever you buy more fish.

As you don't currently have any fish I'd put the new ones straight into the main tank as there are no other fish to worry about, and then you have time to focus on getting the QT tank cycled for whenever you buy more fish.
Thank you for your reply, this seems to be the best option so far :)

Update: Fish are coming tomorrow!!
My 15 Hengeli Rasboras are on their way, scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I'm both excited and nervous.

@Byron I'm still worried about the algae we talked about, the fish will be okay with this brown hair algae right?

Nutrients:
Recommended doses of Seachem Flourish
Maybe small amounts of hidden plant debris? I gravel vac-ed all the nooks and crannies earlier this week

Light:
RETROFIT DAY & NIGHT (LED)
14W
The light was turned on for the full day initially, then once I got a timer socket it was 7 hours every day. After the algae showed up I increased the light to 8-9 hours.

Is the issue that the lights aren't on long enough for the plants, and that is causing the algae perhaps?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-13 4.43.49 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-13 4.43.49 PM.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG20230913163913.jpg
    IMG20230913163913.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20230913_164726.jpg
    IMG_20230913_164726.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 8
Update: Fish are coming tomorrow!!
My 15 Hengeli Rasboras are on their way, scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I'm both excited and nervous.

@Byron I'm still worried about the algae we talked about, the fish will be okay with this brown hair algae right?

Nutrients:
Recommended doses of Seachem Flourish
Maybe small amounts of hidden plant debris? I gravel vac-ed all the nooks and crannies earlier this week

Light:
RETROFIT DAY & NIGHT (LED)
14W
The light was turned on for the full day initially, then once I got a timer socket it was 7 hours every day. After the algae showed up I increased the light to 8-9 hours.

Is the issue that the lights aren't on long enough for the plants, and that is causing the algae perhaps?

The algae is much more likely due to the light being too much, which can be intensity or duration or both. I would deal with the duration first, and reduce it. You recently raised it when you saw the algae, but I would suspect it should have been reduced. Seven hours may be sufficient. Remember this is not isolated, the light has to be balanced with available nutrients, and this balance has to be sufficient for the plant species. You do not have fish yet, so that also makes a big difference. Ammonia will be more when fish are present, both from their respiration and the decomposition of their waste in the substrate, and plants will readily grab all of this fast. There is also the plant substrate again, this is probably doing something.

Most reactions

Back