Another alge problem

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

specks

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I am getting such a lot of alge in my tank. have only had fish for 2 weeks as its a new set up, I clean it from the glass & next day its back again. Also whereas my water is crystal clear there is a film on the surface. Tank is in a light room but not in direct sun, have been keeping the lights on for approx 12 hours daily. Any ideas please?

:fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

I ordered some "Spectacular" Algae Clear Natural Solution, I found the ad in a fishkeeping magazine so thought it would be safe. It is made from refined extract of Barley Straw so is a natural product. The algae in my tank is much better now but as I have also stopped over-feeding my fish I don't know which action has worked! But it is harmless. I paid £6.15 for six months supply, plus p&p which made it about £8-9. The web address is www.spectacularaquariums.com. Hope this helps as I know algae is very unsightly. :)

Sorry typing error should read www.spectacularaquariums.com sorry about that it's a long word to get right. If you typed it wrong into google it might find it anyway.

specks,

I would reduce the lighting to less than 10hrs. Do you have live plants?

Yes Dubby, I have got live plants. They are growing well at the moment ( not many fish to nibble at them yet ) & I dont really want to get fake ones. I think live looks better than plastic, they are however easy to clean. My son has them in his tank as his fish destroyed the real ones. Have just got back from my lfs ( with some khuli loaches ) & was told to reduce the lighting. Morgan I will look into the cure you have recomended, I know you can use barley straw in ponds so I guess it makes sense & the good thing is that its natural. Many thanks to you both.

Personally I would avoid algae treatments. You are much better treating the cause of the algae rather than than treating the algae itself. The algae will more than likely return once the treatment has gone. What lighting are you using?

I would suggest that a combination of too much lighting and your set-up being new are the main causes. New set-ups have not yet reached the "balance" that is required to keep algae in check. Try reducing your photoperiod from 12 hours to 8 hours with a siesta between i.e. 4 on, 4 off, 4 on. A timer is great for this. This technique is commonly used to limit algae while still allowing your plants to still grow (I have 10 hours, 5 on, 2 off, 5 on). I have read that higher plants can adapt to this dark period, presumably because there are similar instances in nature with cloud cover, thunderstorms etc. Algae, it seems has not adapted so well.

If you are planted and are showing good growth then a balance will be reached in time. Plenty of algae eaters i.e. Otos, SAEs and Amano Shrimp will help to keep algae down naturally. If you still have problems then you will need to look at water quality/chemistry i.e. nitrate and phosphate levels.

Hope this helps.

My nitrate levels are 10mg per litre. Havnt got a reading for phosphates though. The lighting is what came with the set up, I have a Juwel Rio 180. Will try your suggestion of a siesta during the day. I can get a timer at the weekend. Thanks everyone for your advice.

specks, do you have live plants? If you do, I would suggest adding more plants in addition to a reduced photoperiod. If you don't, then maybe adding a few aponogeton bulbs, hygrophelia poly, water sprite, ect, ie any of the low-maintenence/fast growing plants. The plants tend to use nutrients in the water that otherwise the algae would be using.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back