Angelfish, Bichir, opaline gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Kiko1237

Reaction score
I have a 2 inch Senegal Bichir, 6 angelfish and one opaline gourami but my angelfish are getting their fins nipped but I havenā€™t caught anyone nipping them. Any suggestions on who it would be and be removed from the tank?
2 of them have almost no top fin and 2 are slightly nipped.

My first suggestion would be the Opaline Gourami. This is the species Trichopodus trichopterus, which is available in several varieties but all are the same species and it is one of the most aggressive of the small/medium gourami. If you happen tohave a male, he will consider the tank "his" in the same way male cichlids (like the angelfish) do, and this gourami has been know to kill every other fish in the tank. Even females can behave accordingly.

Gourami and cichlids should never be combined so I would remove the Opaline and see if this solves things.

It is possible that the bichir is responsible, though perhaps less likely. This fish will certainly eat small fish, but whether it takes on larger I cannot say with any certainty.

The angels themselves are also possible, but with this fish they generally "fight" until the less dominant is dead, and you would see evidence of this interaction most of the time.

Thatā€™s what I was thinking but I just havenā€™t caught the gourami doing it but I will separarte him thank you and I did my research on the Bichir before I got him and a lot of people have it with angels no problem

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back