angel fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jdf

Reaction score
I have two large angel fish, 4 zebra and 2 catfish in a 45 gallon tank. The Angel fish has laid eggs on the filter output tube. This is the 2nd time this has happened. The last time the eggs dissappeared in a few days. I would like to try to save a few and let them hatch. Should I remove the other fish? Is there anything I should do to give the eggs a chance to hatch?

if you do want them to hatch then you will need to move all the other fish and turn off the filter and use a sponge air driven one that can handle the size of your tank.
if this is the first batch they hatch then they may well eat them as angels arent known to be great parents. it may take a few attempts to get it right.
good luck and its great to see them acting as parents :)

Usually the first couple of spawns aren't that strong. The new parents need a couple of trys at being parents before they get good at it. The closer the angels are to having wild blood in them, the sooner they come around to parent raising it seems, but not always.

For some reason they love to spawn on unremovable objects, especially filter intakes. I take a spare plant and wedge or cable tie it to the intake. Put in some vertical pieces of pvc pipe or slate to give them a removable alternative to spawn on. It's a lot easier than relocating a tank full of fish.

Tolak

Thanks for your help everyone. The second batch was eaten before I was able to do anything. Next time I will be prepared to act quickly

hi
just thought ide let you know what i did with my angel eggs,as soon as my pair laid eggs i thought it would be best to leave them,bad idea ,no the parents didn,t eat them but as soon as they became free swimming i lost almost all of them down the gravel,there so tiny you couldn,t almost see them there even smaller than danio babies ,anyway,as soon as they laid eggs i cut the leaf with the eggs off and placed them in a jug in the same tank and moved them on to a smaller tank,making sure that the eggs never came out of the water and the jug should then be emptied in to the smaller tank,and keep the water well airated,as soon as you see wigglers still stuck to the leaf after a couple of days,you should get some liquifry ready, theres no need to feed at this point as they still feed of the yolk sac,as soon as you see free swimmers drop in the liquifry,after a week or 2 start feeding on brine shrimps at least five times a day and regular water changes,and you should soon starting seeing good growth .but make sure you filter is a sponge filter so the babies dont get sucked up, angel fish dont like strong current so make sure your filter isn,t to strong,and put some tights over the filter with a elastic band so the weaker ones wont also get sucked up,i bred angel fish for a year with a spawning every 3 weeks and had almost perfect results, pm me if you need any other advice
thanks
and good luck

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back