Angel fish and other tank mates

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Thanks for the comments but my angels are almost for sure males and they all still attack my hand in the water. So I've tried a couple small fish in groups with them and the angels all nearly killed them. The only fish I can keep with them are bottle dwellers and larger mid to top dwellers. So please suggest something bigger with color. Thanks again!

Angelfish should be "the" fish in the tank, by which I mean the centerpiece. It really is not going to be possible to find "larger" fish that occupy the upper levels of their tank. This does not even occur in their natural habitats.

As you have seen, angelfish establish their space and they do not appreciate any intruders. Smaller fish may get attacked, depending upon species. Anything similar in size (or larger) will inevitably be seen as real enemies and this can either streess out the angelfish to the point of weakening them to death, or make them even more vicious.

OK, would say 2 Bohemian rainbows work?

All rainbowfish species are shoaling, meaning they must be in a group. Six or seven is minimum for most, though more is always better. But this is not a good mix with angelfish because the rainbows like to swim and this can annoy sedate fish.

You do realize that four adult angelfish will pretty much fill this tank? At six inches body length with a vertical fin span of 8 inches, they are sizeable.

There could be some smaller shoaling fish that are rounded disk-shape, not linear, and provided they are peaceful. I'm thinking species like the Rosy Tetra or Roberti Tetra. Bleeding Heart Tetra is often suggested as they get a bit larger but still have the nice mauve colour, but some have had this fish turn very nasty and fin nip angels, so it is with considerable caution I mention them. You would be OK if you had another tank suitable to the BH so you could move them out, but not otherwise. Just one nippy tetra can ruin a shoal of angelfish bee stress.

Could I possibly do 2 or 4 Bolivian rams? Also I have lowered my water temp to 77 to accommodate the Cory cats, as I will be getting more.

Responding to the last two posts. Generally, one species of neotropical cichlid is all there should be in an aquarium (African rift lake cichlid communities is a very different issue) with respect to cichlids. Individual male cichlids can have differing concepts of their territory. I had a single male Bolivian in my 5-foot 115g tank for over nine years, and there was no doubt whatsoever that he considered the entire tank "his" space. The 150 or so other fish, including cories, tetras and hatchetfish, all knew this. Angelfish can be exceedingly territorial.

One more question, how many Cory cats can I have in my 55 gallon?

Assuming we are still considering the four angelfish as upper fish, you could have a group of 12-20 cories or even more. [I have 50 in my 70g which is 48 inches long by 18 inches wide.] I would not have less than around 12, as the more there are the less stressed and happier they will be.

OK, I'm planning on getting 3 albino, emerald, bronze,sterbai and juhli. Will they still not be stressed with other species in there tank or should I get more of like sterbai and juhli and albino.

OK, I'm planning on getting 3 albino, emerald, bronze,sterbai and juhli. Will they still not be stressed with other species in there tank or should I get more of like sterbai and juhli and albino.

Ideally there should be minimum five of each species of cory when you are combining species. I aim for this, though sometimes due to only one, two or three in the store tank I may be unable to get five, and I know they will be happier in my tank with 30-40 other cories regardless. Some species do show a preference for "playing" around with their own species, while others are more often "playing" with other species.

The drawback of combining species is the possibility of cross-breeding, at least within the lineage. Never release fry into the hobby unless you are certain they are pure strain.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back