An Apology- I Got It Wrong

TwoTankAmin

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
In a number of my posts I have made reference to Dr. Chris Cow as the originator of fishless cycling. I was wrong about this. There were actually people doing this around 3 years before his article on the now defunct tomgriffin.com first appeared. As far as I can tell this is the earliest article on this subject.

Here is the link. There are some really good links to other related articles at this cite which is hosted by Cal Poly Pomona which is part of the California State University system. I have read a bunch of them and found a lot of interesting info. This link leads to not only the original article but to the authors updates since.

http://www.csupomona.edu/~jskoga/Aquariums/Ammonia.html

Once again to the members here, and to Jim Koga, I am sorry for getting this wrong.

I suspect that no apology is needed for most of us TTA. We are all aware that multiple sources contribute to all methods that are used by fishkeepers. We all are intent to research all available methods to determine what each of us should believe. One of us choosing the wrong source is a minor offense compared to insisting on using the wrong source by those who insist on not doing that research. We are pretty darned forgiving of a poor choice of sources.

No, I needed to say I was wrong and to correct the error. I am not in the habit of saying things I have not researched well enough to have them right. In the end the facts/truth is what folks need to make informed decisions. I also unintentially slighted the author, and although I know he will likely never ever read this thread, I still owed him an apology. It was my old memory which had forgotten all about that article. I had seen it a couple of year before I joined this site and well before I began book marking stuff.

Finally, I have no idea whether folks here believe anything I say regarding cycling. Some What I do know is if I say something that is not fctually accurate, then I am potentially giving anybody who listens bad information. Not only should I correct that as soon as I am aware ot it, and I should say I'm sorry. If I am right I stick to my guns, when I am wrong, I say so.

And I will also admit to having an bit of an ulterior motive. Read that article and you will see the originator of fishless cycling (at least on the internet) saying in his revised version that the proper ammonia dosing is close to what I have been advocating. If you follow the live links in the article some of the best written stuff I saw also supported it (yes some stuff was higher dosing oriented too).

My current opinions on cycling have not been changed by this information. But other members may read through the stuff and change theirs. So in addition to apologizing for the wrong info, I best apologize for being a bit devious, too.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back