Ammonia Peak

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

According to your readings there is more ammonia in the tank than in the tap - so that's not what is causing the issue. Filter media will help. Keep it wet and try to get it moved as quickly as possible.

Okay thanks so much everyone Iā€™m doing a water change now will update on outcome tomorrow.. fingers crossed no more casualties.

She still has ammonia in the tap water tho and that is a concern.

----------------------
Add some ammonia remover to the tank now.

Don't do anymore water changes just yet.

Get some of the filter material from your other tank tomorrow, and add that to the new filter. When you do this, rinse the old established filter material out in a bucket of tank water to get most of the gunk out. Pour the dirty water onto the garden. Then put that filter material into a clean container of tank water and bring it home straight away. Add it to the new tank's filter asap. The filter bacteria should be able to remove the ammonia pretty quickly.

The more established filter material you can add to the new tank, the faster it will remove the ammonia from the tank water.

----------------------
Any pet shop can order Duckweed or Water Sprite in for you. Water Sprite is easier to control but rainbowfish (like the boesemani) will eat Duckweed if it's available.

Oh no! Iā€™ve removed 50% of my water already and added the ammonia neutraliser as well as water conditioner to the new water to add back into my tank.. at least if I do a water change it may reduce ammonia level as it had risen?

Tomorrow I will grab filter media and gravel thanks so much. Iā€™ve been just putting it at the bottom of my new tank as the new tank only has a sponge layer then a layer of plastic with white on top.. not those little white cylinder filter media that my big tank has. Iā€™ve been taking that stuff and adding it to the bottom of my filter, the filter downpours in different streams at the back of the tank

I just tested the new water and itā€™s almost at 0ppm so I guess itā€™s a bit better

At least the fish love when I do water changes and Iā€™m getting kind of the hang of it.. they all swim near the air hose to get taken by the slow flow itā€™s very cute and playful

Sorry for posting so often but I think I have a new issue.. thereā€™s little air bubbles coming off of my plants? Iā€™m not sure what the particular plant is but it looks like parsley. Is this bad?

plants produce oxygen when they get light. In an aquarium the plants produce oxygen bubbles that come off the leaves when the plant gets lots of light.

Oh well at least my plants are happy!

This morning I tested my water and it was at 0.25ppm.. maybe even a bit lower. I removed some fish and took them to my big tank, and removed filter media and put it into my new tank! Hopefully itā€™s on the mend

Oh no! Iā€™ve removed 50% of my water already and added the ammonia neutraliser as well as water conditioner

There is no need to use both products, The Blue planet conditioner neutralities Chlorine and Chloramine, The Aqua One ammonia neutralizer deals with Chlorine Chloramine Ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate

Thereā€™s a few different ones you can buy of the aqua one ammonia neutraliser, my one only deals with ammonia. You can buy the one that deals with chlorine as well but I didnā€™t get that one.

I just got home, checked my PH, and it's still at 0.25? Should I do another water change or let my new filter media kick in to rid of it?

Don't do any water changes and just let it run for a couple of days. 0.25ppm ammonia with a pH of 7.0 is not a big issue.

Drats, I've gone and done a 50% water change before reading your response.. I added the ammonia neutraliser and water conditoner into the fresh water, let it rest and it actually read as 0ppm (yesterday it was 0.25ppm) so I'm hoping this will lower my ammonia even further, tomorrow will test tank water again and let my tank rest.

Would have doing this water change ruined anything? Like killed any good bacteria?.. My tank water is still quite cloudy and has never really cleared up, I purchased a solution that clears the water that's arriving tomorrow I'm hoping will work but would rather fix the problem at the source.

Water changes do not affect filter bacteria as long as the water is free of chlorine/ chloramine.

If the water is milky cloudy it is from fish food and waste breaking down in the water. Reduce feeding to a small amount every second day. Only feed the fish as much as they can eat in 20seconds and remove any uneaten food after that.

Don't add any chemicals to clear the water. The less stuff you add the better. However, if you have a filter bacterial supplement (liquid bacteria in a bottle) that helps get the filter working faster, you can add that each day for a week. Use a double dose and add it to the tank near the filter intake.

Okay thank you so much I really appreciate all your help.

It's only slightly cloudy now it's gotten a bit better but still isn't going away. My fish seem constantly hungry I feel so bad, I have frozen bloodworms but have been feeding them just tropical flakes, would the frozen bloodworms be better to feed them?

I used up all my liquid bacteria it was just API Quick Start and used it for a week but I purchased some Nutrafin Cycle which does exactly that and helps with ammonia, that's arriving tomorrow so will do that for a week.

Most reactions

Back