Reaction score
hi ive been running my 4 ft tank for about 6 weeks
ive been doing fine but the last 10 days everytime
i add new water the ammonia goes through the roof :angry:
i have 11 african cichlids and 1 red tail shark
run an aquaworld 800 internal filter 2 air stones
and 2 plants .please help

TFFwelcomesign.jpg

Did you cycle your tank, and if so how did you do so?

Are you adding any kind of water conditioner to the water every time you do a water change?

Also, what kind of test kit are you using?

-FHM

yes did extreme ph and water change 2 days ago (dropped water level
down to 30% and added 20% waited 20 mins and dropped back down
to 30% and repeated cycle 4 times last cycle i added nutrelizer, ammolock
and plant food ph went to 7.6 and ammonia dopped down from 4 to .50
i am using an API freshwater master test kit

yes did extreme ph and water change 2 days ago (dropped water level
down to 30% and added 20% waited 20 mins and dropped back down
to 30% and repeated cycle 4 times last cycle i added nutrelizer, ammolock
and plant food ph went to 7.6 and ammonia dopped down from 4 to .50
i am using an API freshwater master test kit

Don't understand what you mean by this - "dropped water level down to 30% and added 20% waited 20 mins and dropped back down to 30% and repeated cycle 4 times"

I'd forget the ammolock, waste of time! You also need to add dechlorinator to all water that goes into your tank!

I'd also do another water change, you need the level down to a maximum of 0.25, also do a check on your water straight from the tap to see what the levels are like before adding to the tank because some water supplies have higher ammonia present than others.

Andy

i have read the info and thanx for that :good: i am currently trying to re-cycle my tank

and as for the other question i dropped 70% of my water taking it down to 30%

and the add water back up to 50% therefore adding 20% to repeat cycle

you drop 20% which takes it back doen to 30% then add 20% but you must wait
approx 20 mins in between each cycle

A fish-in cycle, which you are currently in; you mus do as follows or you are going to put your fish in jeopardy.

It seems you are good at doing water changes...lol...so this will not be so bad for ya.

Ammonia is produced by our fish, and that is toxic to our fish if it is over .25 ppm.

Firstly, Beneficial bacteria start to colonize in our filters to proccess Ammonia, when Ammonia is processed it turns to NitrIte.

Then there is another type of bacteria in our filters that process NitrIte to NitrAte.

There is no bacteria that grow in our filters to process NitrAte, so NitrAte must be taken out by water changes.

After the cycle is competed, you must do partial water changes once a week to keep the NitrAte in check.

So, this is where you are at.

You have added fish to an UN-CYCLED tank, therefore it must be cycled, and this is how you do it.

You must check your water parameters everyday, starting with Ammonia, first, like you have already witnessed, you have ammonia in your tank, and since ammonia is toxic to fish if it is over .25 ppm, yo must do water changes to keep ammonia down as close to zero as possible. You might be doing 2-3+ water changes a day to do this.

After a while you will start to see that your ammonia is not rising that high that fast all the time. This is because the type of bacteria in your filter that process ammonia are starting to grow. So now that ammonia is going down, your NitrItes are going to start to go up. Since when ammonia is processed, it turns into NitrIte.

Do the same thing with NitrIte that you did with ammonia, by doing water changes accordingly to keep the NitrIte down as close to zero as possible.

By this time you will see that Ammonia is almost always going to be at zero, due to the bacteria in your filter that are processing the ammonia into nitrIte.

Now, over a while you start to see that NitrIte is going to start to not be has high as fast, and you are going to be able to do less water changes now because you are now starting to colonize the type of bacteria that process NitrIte into NitrAte.

NitrAte is will start to harm fish if it is around 50+ ppm, so when it gets up near there, do a water change to bring it down.

This ENTIRE process takes about 4-6 weeks if everything goes according to plan. It may take longer.

After everything is all done and said, you will have colonized enough bacteria in your filter, to process Ammonia to NitrIte, and NitrIte to NitrAte.

Even though your ammonia test says at this point that there is no ammonia present in your tank, but there actually is. This trace ammonia is what keeps the beneficial bacteria in your filter alive, as ammonia is constantly being produced by your fish. The bacteria in your filter just process it soon enough before it gets to a detectable amount.

Things to remember:

Water changes are the only way to keep Ammonia and NitrIte down close to zero, until you have successfully colonized enough beneficial bacteria in your filter that will process ammonia and NitrIte for ya.

So get into a habit to do daily water changes for at least 4 weeks.

And remember, Ammonia and NitrIte are toxic to fish if they are over .25 ppm. If fish are exposed to high levels of either Ammonia and/or NitrIte the fish is going to have permanent gill damage, and it could shorten their life. They may not show any signs of this, but trust me, it DOES effect them

Hope this clarifies a few things for ya!

Hope to hear back from you with your questions!

-FHM

good thing im not working at the moment lol that is all good ive been doing it everyday for about 5 days one thing ive noticed is my water is going cloudy
i cant se from one end to the other from side veiw

This cloudiness is called "new tank-syndrome" and it is the cause of a bacterial bloom.

We want to colonize Autotrophic bacteria in our filters, this bacteria is the kind the process Ammonia and NitrIte.

However, it take a long time for this kind of bacteria to start to grow.

The cloudiness is from another type of bacteria that grow very quickly, and live in the water column, not in the filter. These little guys are not the kind that we want, but since there is a large ammonia source, they grow off of that really fast.

However, these guys don't hang around for mush more of a week, as when the ammonia level starts to drop due to the "Good" bacteria in our filters, these guys die off.

EDIT: You can read all about bacterial blooms here. [URL="http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=246850"]http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=246850[/URL]

-FHM

Hi there,

The cloudy water is probably a bacterial bloom and another indication that you are not cycled yet. Blooms come and go in newly started tanks and are basically harmless.

FHM, one thing to check on is rewlyn's location -- its probably UK, but if its USA then "ammolock" could be a different product (white chips sort of thing) and it would have completely kept the cycle from happening. Probably its not that but just wanted to throw that in. :)

~~waterdrop~~

Hi there,

The cloudy water is probably a bacterial bloom and another indication that you are not cycled yet. Blooms come and go in newly started tanks and are basically harmless.

FHM, one thing to check on is rewlyn's location -- its probably UK, but if its USA then "ammolock" could be a different product (white chips sort of thing) and it would have completely kept the cycle from happening. Probably its not that but just wanted to throw that in. :)

~~waterdrop~~
Okay, thanks waterdrop!

I will commit that to memory!

-FHM

Most reactions

Back