Algae On Inside Of Glass

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jimmy_veal

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all.
I do water changes every 7-10 days in my Juwel 180L tank. I always have to clean the glass with an algae pad as it builds up quickly on the inside of the glass - and it is quite difficult to rub off sometimes. I have a albino bristlenose plec, but he never goes onto the glass to clean it - is their any other aquarium fish i could get to do this job for me?

I have heard that algae build up is a sign of a healthy aquarium - is this true?

Thanks
James.

Algae is usually a sign of too much lighting. How long are the lights on for? BN's won't touch the harder types of Algae in my experience.

The light is on from 4pm - 11pm daily approx.
Do you know what other species would love to eat all the algae?

The trick is to clean the glass when it looks like it does not need cleaning. Sounds silly, but if you leave it to the point where you can see the algae it is much harder to remove. Wipe the glass before you see the algae, and you will never see it
good.gif

What kind of algae is it?

If you click on the PARC link in my sig there is a algae guide which you can use to ID the algae you have. I'll move this to the algae section as well :good:

The trick is to clean the glass when it looks like it does not need cleaning. Sounds silly, but if you leave it to the point where you can see the algae it is much harder to remove. Wipe the glass before you see the algae, and you will never see it
good.gif

Yep! This is what I do too, I clean my glass every week whether it looks like it needs it or not!

We all would get it if we didnt clean it off. clean the inside of the glass every week when you do your water change. I find that a washing up sponge (the kind you use for non stick pans) does the job perfectly. Obviously i only ever use it for the tank!

I use one of these washing up scrubbers that you can fill with soap because it's got this nice long handle and the sponges can be replaced when they get worn out but I've been using this one for ages. I use a toothbrush on anything small like ornaments.

IMAG0205.jpg

I use one of these washing up scrubbers that you can fill with soap because it's got this nice long handle and the sponges can be replaced when they get worn out but I've been using this one for ages. I use a toothbrush on anything small like ornaments.

IMAG0205.jpg

Oh, I am liking this! You could hook the siphon hose to the handle and suck the muck away as you clean
w00t.gif
....... Am gonna' get me one of those
good.gif

Ooooh who's a clever boy!? Let me know how you get on with this idea, sounds like a patent is in your future :p

gosh - I've had it for so long I can't really remember, sorry! I can guess a couple of possible places I may have got it: Dunelm Mill, Tesco, Asda, Wilkinsons or even one of these pound shops lol! That's not helpful at all is it?!

The most straightforward option is to find them on the internet I guess!

3M Scotchbrite Dishwand.......all the major supermarkets have them less than 2 quid! Brilliant!
good.gif

Thanks for sharing this.

Thanks DtD! That's good to know for when I need to replace mine however the one I bought came with two sponges and the first one still has a good many water changes left in it! You know I might have even bought this one in the states (I'm from there orginally) lol so finding the replacement sponges for this brand might have been interesting!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back