Algae issues!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BOGaming_

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Oh my, i'm being driven crazy!!
About 2 months ago i went on holiday and left my brother to put the fish feeding block in before i went away, and love and behold he forgot to turn the lights off.... so you can probably already guess what madness happened.... i came back to a full algae bloom. Now i actually moved houses the same day i arrived (the tank was at my mothers but i was moving it to my dads) so i bagged all the fish and water ect and then i completely scrubbed all the algae off. I scrubbed it all from the ornaments and i thought that was my issue gone...

WRONG! Only a week later the algae once again started appearing at a rapid rate. (i've never ever had problems like this before, infact i've never even had algae)

I've been doing a water change every week of about 40% and at the same time trying to get rid of as much algae as i can, it's not as bad as before because when i came home i couldn't even see through the tank but now i just see it growing on the walls of the tank ect.... I'm really not sure what to do.. I've got live plants and i tried keeping the lights of for a few days (lights are only on for about 8 hours a day)

I currently have 4 platies and 3 fry in the tank (30 litre) as well as 3 ghost shrimp. I've not used any chemicals because i don't really want to if i can avoid it... any ideas? (it's green algae)

You could try keeping the lights off for a little longer each day to slow it down. I also use nerite snails to keep mine in check - they don't reproduce in freshwater so no chance of them becoming a pest

My tank is currently coldwater, i know i know but the platies were raised in cold water from LFS so i kept it that way, will be changing that in the upcoming months

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back