Albino cory cats

Sandusky

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I was given a tank with an assortment of fish in them a while back and of those fish are two albino cory cats. When i went to go pick up the tank she told me that they were blind and she didnt know why,and i didnt really believe her. They're the cutest little things but i am starting to think they really are blind, they bump into EVERYTHING, the rocks, the glass, the plants, the fish (who freak out and swim everywhich way) and its not just a little bump, it's a full on collision. :X
It may be hilarious to watch but i am worried they may seriously hurt themselves. They have eyes, red ones, but they just dont seem to 'see' where it is they are going but they sense eachother and often you can find them swimming together. Is this cause they're albino? Or is it just a cory cat thing? :blink:

I have albino cories and normal (ie peppered) ones. None of mine are blind. I would imagine those two are actually blind, as my two albinos have no problem swimming around their tank.

I wouldn't be able to tell you what to do to help them out as ive never had to deal with blind fish but im sure someone on here will have some suggestions :)

Jess

I think that is common with albinos. My albino has one pinkish eye and one eye with no pupil whatsoever. I think he's just blind in the one eye though, because he usually spots food dropped in the tank before any of the other cories I have!

Albino fish, if they are true albinos, always have red eyes. I once had a C.Paleatus(not albino) that was blind in one eye. A guppy darted across on its blind side and gave it a shock, making it fly across the tank, bang itself on a stone and later die of internal bleeding :-( :( . Sorry, that story wasn't really related to your subject but I have found many albino corys with eye problems.

My blind in one eye albino died the other day without any explanation. I wonder if something similar happened to him? There was nothing wrong with him a day earlier and he died pretty quickly. :/

I have 4 albino cory's and they too seem to always be bumping into the glass and other fish without knowing it. I worry that it my be a species thing, this blindness... :-(

Most reactions

Back