Aggressive Vs Non-Aggressive

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SaltNoob

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I am still quite new and my tank is cycling for its first time as of now! Excited.

I have been reading and getting lots of advice from my LFS and I keep running across people telling me to go AGGRESSIVE!! in my tank. What is the biggest difference? What might an aggressive vs. non-aggressive tank include. I still only have 29 Gallons so I can't go wild.

Would this include diff. species of anemones/shrimp/snails etc.? I obviously know fish fit in that category.

My goal is to start easy, and if an aggressive tank is that much more awesome and not 10X more expensive than an easy going tank, I may try it.

Thanks!

Let me give this some thought. I'm at work now getting ready to teach. Some people have done entire tanks with either agressive species or pests. They can be very fun and interesting tanks. That being said, some agressive species have special dietary requirements that don't always make them great fish for a newbie to Marine. Just letting you know.

Let me give this some thought. I'm at work now getting ready to teach. Some people have done entire tanks with either agressive species or pests. They can be very fun and interesting tanks. That being said, some agressive species have special dietary requirements that don't always make them great fish for a newbie to Marine. Just letting you know.

Sounds fun, I will read up more on it by googling "aggressive salt water tanks". I look forward to hearing more on this from you.

-Tyler

What is the biggest difference?

The biggest would be that as soon as you pick one aggressive thing you probably just ruled out a ton of other things. Stockings tend to be lighter as a result. Sometimes it's due to compatibility, but also many aggressive tanks are predator tanks where the food is so messy the tank can't be heavily stocked. So, if you have an endless craving for putting more stuff in your tank, an aggressive tank is probably not the way to go. On the other hand, if you have just one or two things you're really keen on and are willing to compromise and work around them, you should be set with an aggressive tank. One perk of aggressive animals is that they tend to be more interactive.

To give an example: my 55gal has a pair of maroon clowns, Dardanus megistos hermits, a CBS, and very few other species I've intentionally added. Both fish and inverts are considered aggressive, although perhaps a the lower end of that scale (not as potentially mean as a moray tank for example). It has a few corals, but generally looks very sparse to the eye compared to the average FOWLR or reef tank of similar size. It's just hard to find something that can go in that tank that won't get torn apart and, if it stays in one piece, also won't tear other things apart. In contrast, I have a 20gal herbivore tank that is crammed full of Gastropods, sea urchins, and smaller peaceful hermits while still having room for two fish (a blenny and a young engineer goby) and some soft coral frags. There is more intentionally-added biomass in my 20gal than in my 55gal because of the difference in stock temperament.

What is the biggest difference?

The biggest would be that as soon as you pick one aggressive thing you probably just ruled out a ton of other things. Stockings tend to be lighter as a result. Sometimes it's due to compatibility, but also many aggressive tanks are predator tanks where the food is so messy the tank can't be heavily stocked. So, if you have an endless craving for putting more stuff in your tank, an aggressive tank is probably not the way to go. On the other hand, if you have just one or two things you're really keen on and are willing to compromise and work around them, you should be set with an aggressive tank. One perk of aggressive animals is that they tend to be more interactive.

To give an example: my 55gal has a pair of maroon clowns, Dardanus megistos hermits, a CBS, and very few other species I've intentionally added. Both fish and inverts are considered aggressive, although perhaps a the lower end of that scale (not as potentially mean as a moray tank for example). It has a few corals, but generally looks very sparse to the eye compared to the average FOWLR or reef tank of similar size. It's just hard to find something that can go in that tank that won't get torn apart and, if it stays in one piece, also won't tear other things apart. In contrast, I have a 20gal herbivore tank that is crammed full of Gastropods, sea urchins, and smaller peaceful hermits while still having room for two fish (a blenny and a young engineer goby) and some soft coral frags. There is more intentionally-added biomass in my 20gal than in my 55gal because of the difference in stock temperament.

This is good news. What I am looking for is a laid back tank. I would like to have soft corals (if compatible) in my tank. My goal is:

Two clowns (not sure what type for 30gal tank)I like the dark ones.
Pistol Shrimp and a Goby combo
A few electric blue hermits and several snails
Beyond this I do not know what other fish would work in here.

I currently have 31.5lbs of cured live rock that's been in alone for 4 full days. I will start testing this weekend for ph/ammonia/nitrites.

If you can find one, I personally love my Fire shrimp. Lysmata debelius. They are more reclusive than skunk cleaners but mine takes food out of my hands. It's great. You have a lot of caves in your tank, so one would be very happy.

If you can find one, I personally love my Fire shrimp. Lysmata debelius. They are more reclusive than skunk cleaners but mine takes food out of my hands. It's great. You have a lot of caves in your tank, so one would be very happy.

Oooh they are very pretty. I look forward to getting one! Would it be bad to have a second shrimp? I know the pistol shrimp and the goby combo have the connection thing goin on. Just thought that was cool.

Would the "fake ocellaris" clown variety be reasonable for my tank? I like the darker colors on the clowns.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back