Aga Convention 2010, Nov. 11-14

Looks like they'll be giving away two ADA tanks at the convention. Little ones, but sweeeeet. I was drooling when I got there. And I'm local, so no shipping for me, just pop it in my car and drive on home.... :good: Wish me luck, I want to win!

I'm going on the Florida Aquatic Nursery tour, so prepare to be dazzled with a multitude of pix. I'm taking the good camera. No iPhone for this trip.

if you win both of those ADA tanks, send me one!!! :drool:

its funny isn't it cos i thought the same as both you and Andy, regarding Karen Randall. I'm sure she's a loverly woman, but, i wouldn't mess with her!

if you win both of those ADA tanks, send me one!!! :drool:

its funny isn't it cos i thought the same as both you and Andy, regarding Karen Randall. I'm sure she's a loverly woman, but, i wouldn't mess with her!

I met her. She's TALL!!!! I wouldn't want to mess with her either. She was missing her shoe. The first night was kind of surreal. Everybody just sat down and got to know each other better while we ate snacks.

If I win both, I can setup a virtual tank for you... Granted, however, Waterdrop is at the Convention too. Would like to see him get a tank. Then he'll finally set one up!

Taking a moment to say hello before breakfast this morning - I thought the FAN (Florida Aquatic Nurseries) tour was fantastic yesterday! The "tables" (as the Vice President called them - 7,500 plants on a table on average and takes you a good while to walk down the row next to a "table" lol) sometimes extended off into the distance such that you couldn't imagine there were that many species that they were raising.

LLJ and I have been just practically weeping over how all these beautiful plants could be grown right here (virtually in her backyard) and then be so incredibly difficult to actually get! The middle man of US distribution just makes a complete mess of providing a way for aquarium plant hobbyists to have access to the real stuff. Looking at these plants I realize that even at the best of the web places we buy we are just not seeing the real possibilities and we don't really have any way of "seeing" what could be had I feel. I'm probably not expressing this right. How do we describe it LLJ? We keep saying we wished we could just pocket these plants left and right, reach right down into the huge rectangular pools and just pocket one of the beautiful specimens.

The Madagascar Lace plants were to die for and it just seemed like every plant I'd ever seen on the Tropica site, for instance, was there and and there were beautiful examples. This gives the lie to my feeling that all the beautiful ones only exist over in the UK. Here they are right on the USA east coast but to me it just feels like YUCK the way you'd have to guess at which web supplier might actually sell you a good example or how much trouble it'd be to have you local LFS actually order the right stuff. (Mine would just never do it I don't think.)

OK, I'm going to get hungry and I'm sure my Australian friend has already gone down to get some breakfast so I'm going to hang it up here. The real fun is in talking with LLJ and all the the other widely varied plant geeks here - there's just a huge breadth and scope of experience and ideas and I'm sure there will be interesting things to learn in the full day of talks today.

~~waterdrop~~ :)

Hello All, I'm tired... Convention was a blast, but I'm too tired to to a proper write up today. Knowing me, it'll be extremely long and take up multiple threads.

I didn't get much at the auction only a few item...

Seachem Pinnacle RO unit..

RO unit.JPG

Guess how much I paid for it...

I also got something else... But that deserves a whole new thread. :shifty:

The other thing I got...

I think Llj is not happy with the flavour of her Expresso in the morning when using tapwater in the machine. lol

AC

Boy did I make a big mistake! I tried to cut down on the stuff I was carrying and took my smaller suitcase (since I had my laptop bag and my backpack with reading material) and my suitcase was pretty tightly packed. Man, I should have taken the large suitcase half empty!

The reason is that this year I got a better handle on the auction and bought a lot more plants and then it was torture getting them home. I ended up transferring some of my books to my suitcase and then letting a lot of the air out of some of the plant bags to be able to fit them on my backpack I wear in to the plane. I'm sure I wrecked the structure of a lot of the leaves but I'll just have to hope that the meristems are intact down in the crowns, right, lol?

At the next conference I'm thinking of prepping some plastic pipes of a width that I could shove medium-wide inflated plastic bags down, one on top of the other and maybe get 4 or so bags per tube in the length of a large suitcase. I thought about solid white plastic tubes like we use for DIY water things but a thinner, lighter clear tube would be better.. where would I find that sort of thing I wonder? The idea of course is for protecting larger plants when the baggage handlers are stacking other suitcases on top of yours!

~~waterdrop~~

Just let the water out and pack them flat in damp newspaper. thats how I send mine out to people and how I receive them too :)

Won't hurt them. They come from Malaysia/Singapoer to me like that and in the post for between 5 and 10 days normally

AC

i think i know wink wink...

anyways back to AGA contest. Did you see the results and some of the enteries?

538.jpg

^^i don't like this scape, IMO it looks cheap and tacky.

539.jpg

^^love this one, but i feel i have seen one just like this before?

285.jpg

^^the good old tree scape

the rest of the results without having to download that silly torrent

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2010.cgi?&op=showcase&category=0&vol=2&id=91

Lol. The torrent is good because once downloaded it will load quickly once you've got it on your HD whereas the AGA site seems to be on a 56k dial up server. lol

The first aquascape is a taiwan style. Similar to Nature aquarium in that they are landscapes but Taiwan style often has models of manmade structures in it. That is a bit of a beast though. lol most are small houses etc. Taiwan scapers are tending to veer away from this traditional style and more toward the nature style as time goes on.

Know what you mean r.e. the other 2. floating islands, treescapes. HArdly 'original' concepts. lol

AC

Most reactions

Back