Aga Convention 2010, Nov. 11-14

Yes, I agree with Aaron, don't like any of those a whole lot. I struggle sometimes to like the many variations on creating little miniature scenes that in some way or another mimic some -other- type of natural scene of nature or even of human culture in nature. The things I react most immediately and naturally to with pleasure seem to be the planted tanks that give me an instant sense that I'm right there snorkling and seeing something beautiful - the way I would really see it if I were in the stream or whatever.

I mean I have a ton of respect for the amazing artifical scenes (the depth, the way the eye is drawn in, the perfection of the thing that is being imitated (like a tree or mountain) etc.) but I just don't have that immediate gut reaction with them, it takes a little longer to be drawn in and is not the immediate wow. I'm sure its just me. At the conference, Karen had a session at the end of her talk where she tried to get as many of us as possible to express likes and dislikes for particular tanks she threw up on the screen and it was obvious how widely people's taste varies. There's no escaping that there are huge elements of taste involved.

WD

Not a fan either. I noticed that this forum tends to prefer the more "actually could possibly exist in an aquatic environment" aquascapes. :lol: You all would have loved the images Claus Christensen presented from South America and Asia. Very lush and beautiful in a completely different way from "hobbiton" and "Pandora" up there. I also dislike the lack of color. Like color is an enemy. Color exists in nature too.

llj

Not a fan either. I noticed that this forum tends to prefer the more "actually could possibly exist in an aquatic environment" aquascapes. :lol: You all would have loved the images Claus Christensen presented from South America and Asia. Very lush and beautiful in a completely different way from "hobbiton" and "Pandora" up there. I also dislike the lack of color. Like color is an enemy. Color exists in nature too.

llj

Thats sort of what I think Llj. I like aquascapes to be 'waterscapes' rather than landscapes. I like to think I have a realistic 'slice of nature' rather than a land/water hybrid.

Not sure I agree with anyone on the lack of colour though. I'm not a fan of reds etc in the plants. I like the greens however. I think it does need managing so there lots of green variants well balanced to contrast with each other.

AC

Most reactions

Back