Aeration

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Chriss121

Reaction score
Hi,

Advice again please.

I was told by a retailer that I need aerators in our outdoor ponds. We've set them up with local water plants, water lilies, lotus plants and a couple of others to keep the water clean (and they seem to do a good job) and I thought they also added oxygen into the water. Is this correct or should I invest in solar aerators?

I have a water spitter that helps but in the heat of summer I also add a simple air want attached to a small air pump to give more oxygen.

I have a water spitter that helps but in the heat of summer I also add a simple air want attached to a small air pump to give more oxygen.

It's hot here most days of the year, even in rainy season, Maybe I should price out aerators

Plants that have their leaves underwater will produce oxygen during the day when they get light, but use oxygen and release carbon dioxide when it is dark (at night).

Plants (like water lilies, lotus, rush, iris) that have their leaves floating on the surface or above the water do not release oxygen into the water.

If you have aeration from air pumps or water fountains, make sure the water does not land on the water lily or lotus leaves. When their leaves are constantly damp they rot.

Whilst plants help keep the water clean, they do not help with oxygen at night and in warm climates you should have continuous aeration (24 hours a day, 7 days a week).

You also need to do regular water changes to dilute nutrients and disease organisms in the water. Disease organisms grow faster in warm water.

Plants that have their leaves underwater will produce oxygen during the day when they get light, but use oxygen and release carbon dioxide when it is dark (at night).

Plants (like water lilies, lotus, rush, iris) that have their leaves floating on the surface or above the water do not release oxygen into the water.

If you have aeration from air pumps or water fountains, make sure the water does not land on the water lily or lotus leaves. When their leaves are constantly damp they rot.

Whilst plants help keep the water clean, they do not help with oxygen at night and in warm climates you should have continuous aeration (24 hours a day, 7 days a week).

You also need to do regular water changes to dilute nutrients and disease organisms in the water. Disease organisms grow faster in warm water.
I agree. I have to do weekly water changes in my pond. However, mine is only 150G garden pond.

I've ordered some solar aerators see how they go.
The retailer advised a water change every month. To be fair we top up the water level maybe twice a week due to evaporation.

When water evaporates it is only pure water that does so. All the nutrients and disease organisms are left behind in the pond. Regular water changes dilute these nutrients and disease organisms and keep the water cleaner for the fish.

In big ponds you can do a 50% water change each month. In small ponds do it every 1-2 weeks.

Back to the original question. Plants won't survive my goldfish and koi. About a year ago I removed the waterfall and added an airpump and airstones (6 in total) for aeration. Overall the pond is much healthier and cleaner because:
  1. There aren't any dead zones
  2. The air churns the sludge of the bottom. This means it ends up in the filter. I do have to clean the filter more often but never get the layer of sludge (and who knows what else) at the bottom.

Yep, plants are like a big salad bar to my Goldie’s. Lol! The extra air stones and aeration really help in the heat of our big Texas summers!

Goldfish and Koi need plant matter in their diet so it is natural and good for the fish to eat aquatic plants. If you have Duckweed on the surface of the tank/ pond they will usually eat that before eating the bigger plants like Vallis.

Ok I understand. I'll amend the water change times. TY

Simple question now I have the solar aerators. Given we live in a warm/tropical climate and we have an abundance of live plant life (which I understand aerates during the day due to the sun/temperature), do I leave the aerators on all day or just switch them on in the evening. They have rechargeable batteries that should last some 10-12 hours....

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back