Advice Required

They wouldn't fit my camera anyway.
True, glad to see you have no issue with promoting canon gear even though you use Nikon, too many Canon and Nikon users fight their corner far too much
good.gif

Nikon bodies work for me, but canon make some ace lenses, it was almost enough for me to go canon. There were just a few too many touches I prefer on the nikon stuff, tiny things like the exposure control seems to go the wrong way on canon, but then canon users probably think that about nikon...

They're both very good at making cameras and lenses, minor details just pushed me in one direction.

I have just bought a Nikon D5000 and am very happy with it. Loads more tools to play with than my old D50, and also HD video which oddly I haven't got round to trying yet :lol: Been too busy taking photos.

I am a real Nikon girl :) I also have a Nikon S700 as my point and shoot, and that is awesome too. Though Canon have got good reviews as well. Dunno, I've always used Nikon.

I'd love to have the money to spend on a fancy lens, but just enjoying playing with the standard lens for now. It's more of a challenge to get good photos - that's what I tell myself anyway :lol:

If you want more challenge get a cheap 50mm prime, and restrict yourself to using that at it's widest setting. Using nothing else.

I now have new requirements which neither my D40 or my D100 cover so I'm thinking about getting a spangly new D3s if I can afford it, if not probably a D300.

Have you considered the D700? It has virtually all the capabilities of the D3 range, for 2k less. Mine is awesome. I guess if you want HD movies though....

Dave.

In all honesty yes I have thought about the D700, being full frame it would be nice, I hear image quality is about the same as the D3 too. What really attracts me to the D3s is the high ISO. Bad lighting at gigs leaves me pushing up the ISO and I just get noise. So I'm looking at a body which will handle the ISO and some nice fast primes, eventually maybe a nice fast zoom too but for now my 4.8 (I think) will have to do. Looking at a 50mm 1.8 (the 1.4 price jumps far too much for me...) and maybe then an 85mm 1.8. But if I go with full frame I'll get the 85mm and try and find a fast 130mm (or thereabouts). I have no interest in going too wide. At least not that I'd need a fast lens for...

What really attracts me to the D3s is the high ISO. Bad lighting at gigs leaves me pushing up the ISO and I just get noise.

Even though the D3s has even higher ISO ratings than the D700, noise levels are the same. I shoot weddings in churches at ISO 1600 with f1.4 and f2.8 lenses hand held, without noticeable noise. You won`t need a much higher ISO than this for gigs, if at all.

Sometimes a little noise reduction in Lightroom 2 may help, but that would also be the case for the D3s, too.

Dave.

Cheers for the info. In all honesty I'd rather get 2 D700s so I have a spare body than get 1 D3s... It's still expensive though, I'll see how much inheritance I get.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back