Advice Required

Big_eyes

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Okay then, my other half fancies getting further into a bit of photography and see's her only option to be a DSLR. She has quite a determined character so therefore only a dslr will suffice :lol:

Can anyone advise on a good starter set up of camera and lense without me breaking the bank?

a canon eos 350d with the standard lens, its great :)

Iv got a Cannon 400D with a 18mm-55mm lens and a 55mm-200mm lens with a double converter and carry case + 2GB memory card..

That all cost around £800 but that was about a year ago ... if your thinking of buying second hand be careful make sure you ask the seller how many pictures its taken because i know it sounds daft but DSLR'S have a sort of expiry date/life span there usually good for about 250,000 shots befor the sensor will start to play up or not work so make sure you ask the question THATS IF YOUR BUYING SECOND HAND if not then no need to worry lol

Nikon and cannon are your best bet hope this helps :)

A DSLR is a good choice, since its easy to use them in automatic or full manual modes and everywhere in between.

Whats your budget?

A DSLR is a good choice, since its easy to use them in automatic or full manual modes and everywhere in between.

Whats your budget?

I was hoping for something around or below £500

I see there are some deals at the minute for Nikon D3000 and Canon EOS1000D cameras for around £380 with a 18-55mm lense. I don't know much about them though, spent my last few years with a crappy panasonic lumix. Are the above cameras any good/worth that price?

Thanks

Whats your budget?

I was hoping for something around or below £500

I see there are some deals at the minute for Nikon D3000 and Canon EOS1000D cameras for around £380 with a 18-55mm lense. I don't know much about them though, spent my last few years with a crappy panasonic lumix. Are the above cameras any good/worth that price?

Thanks

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-nikon-d3000-digital-slr-with-18-55mm-vr-lens-plus-free-gadget-bag/p10000802

Check the link, they do it with a free case and memory card.

Also, the D3000 dosent have a built in AF motor, which means that Auto focus will only work with certain lenses. Others will be manual focus only...just something to bear in mind if you do go for one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nikon_compatible_lenses_with_integrated_autofocus-motor

Ah ok, I didn't know that so thankyou :good:

Would you say the canon one would be better then?

Yeah, have to say with all the searching I'm doing Nikon seems to come out with better 'usefulness' reviews.

Noticed the D5000 is still in my budget, suppose it would make sense to head for that if I can afford it. Seems to have good spec.

Yeah, have to say with all the searching I'm doing Nikon seems to come out with better 'usefulness' reviews.

Noticed the D5000 is still in my budget, suppose it would make sense to head for that if I can afford it. Seems to have good spec.

Also dosent have a built in AF motor - just FYI

TBH I dont think it matters much anyway, Nikon make alot of compatible lenses, but something you should be aware of.

Have you looked at second hand?

Not yet no, still in the early days of considering options. With not being too sure it's something I didn't want to rush straight into, new or second hand. Will have a gander though :good:

I use nikon too, a friend recently got the d5000 and loves it.

As long as you can adjust everything manually then it will do to learn on.

I've never struggled to find a lens for my cam which doesn't have a motor. So don't worry too much. And any which will work on those cams will still work on a camera which does have the motor.

Have fun.

I think the canon with af would be one to consider still, maybe even a sony? there is so many option and i think your best bet maybe to go into a shop and hold a few of the cameras, it might make you decide easier. i had to do it and now own the canon XD with a £500 budget go into jessops and you will no doubt find a good deal! by the way the canon 1000d is a good starter camera

I think the canon with af would be one to consider still, maybe even a sony? there is so many option and i think your best bet maybe to go into a shop and hold a few of the cameras, it might make you decide easier. i had to do it and now own the canon XD with a £500 budget go into jessops and you will no doubt find a good deal! by the way the canon 1000d is a good starter camera

This is a good point, make a shortlist of potential candidates and go to a decent camera shop and handle them all, you may find one fits your hand much better than another, the buttons seem more intuitive etc.

Also you'll be able to try out the autofocus, to see which one does it quickest/quietest...just go from focusing on something relatively close to something in the distance, and back to the close object again.

Shots can be missed if your camera is too slow at autofocusing

Ok will go do some nosing this week.

Thanks muchly for the help :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back