Advice on stocking

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

OK, some issues to note here. First, the Dwarf Gourami. This is a species that should not be purchased except from the breeder, or from a dealer who can guarantee the breeder. Most stores cannot do this, especially the chain stores. DG carry the iridovirus, which cannot be cured, and can be dormant in individual fish but infect others. The Honey Gourami, similar in size, is OK if you want this sized gourami.

Did you check out the Pearl Gourami? Probably the most beautiful gourami, and scarcely a fault.

Moving to the checkerboard cichlid...this is not an easy species. There are two genera with two (or maybe three) species in each, all seen under the common name "checkerboard" so you need to pin down just which one. But aside from that, cichlids like gourami have temperament issues; males are very territorial (this can vary among species and individuals within a species) and with cichlids when females are guarding eggs or fry, they can be remarkably aggressive to much larger fish. A pair (male/female) in this tank would be better than more.

Also, given their similarities, gourami and cichlids usually do not mix well. It depends somewhat upon species, and certainly tank size. But generally, either or is better.

Yeah, it was the Pearl Gourami I was meaning, sorry was getting confused. I am actually going to a local store today to have a look at some fish in person which I am looking forward to.

Yeah, it was the Pearl Gourami I was meaning, sorry was getting confused. I am actually going to a local store today to have a look at some fish in person which I am looking forward to.

Just do not let them talk you into buying something; we have all learned the hard way that employees in fish stores do not always know what they should, and a sale is a sale. The poor fish is the loser. :fish:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back