Advice for a beginner

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

stinkybob

Reaction score
Hi,
I recently bought a Juwel Vision 180 (180 litre, 45 U.S. gallon) tank and I have followed some of the advice here on getting the cycled and pretty soon I'll be ready to get some fish. It is a long time since I've kept fish so I would appreciate any advice on the following

Will these fish live together?
- Neons
- Tiger barbs
- Green barbs
- Guppies
- Harlequins

Will tiger barbs and green barbs school together?

Suggestions for one or two larger fish

Suggestions for some kind of sucker fish / catfish to help keep things clean (not too big though)

Suggestions for quantites of the above

Ta!

Hi, :)

Yeah, the barbs will be fine together but i definitely wouldn't put guppies in with them.

barbs are known fin nippers and with the guppies fancy tails the barbs will have a field day :nod:

the neons and harlequins should be no problem though.

steve 8)

Hi,
Just want to add to what was said by fishaholic above, do not add Tiger Barbs with any long finned variety of fish they will just dessimate them. On the topic of cleaners stick to some of the small corydoras varieties and some small Ottocinclus.
Do not be tempted by sucking Loaches, they may be small in the Local Fish Shop but they grow very big and will also dig up the gravel as they like to bury themselves.
Hope this helps....

You could also get a rubber nose plec or two. They get about 5.5 inches max. I would probably hold off on the otos since your tank is fairly new and they have been known to die within 24 hours or purchasing them if your tank is not perfect. The rubber nose plec could also be labeled as the bull dog plec, pit bull plec, rubber lip plec etc.

Just to add, if Tiger barbs are kept in groups of more than 6 or so, it should ease their aggression. They should only chase each other around instead of other fish. I have 12 Tiger barbs in my tank with 2 medium size Angelfish and they don't seem to bother the Angels at all. I've never tried Tigers with Guppies. I've also heard some stories about Tigers being really aggressive, so I guess it's a bit of a risk.

Thanks for that. Pity about the guppies, I'll have to get another tank ... (and probably new wife while I'm at it)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back