"add And Wait" Method

biggy7

Reaction score
First add your ammonia to raise the level to 4 to 5 ppm (see ammonia calculator here at bottom of page). Now you simply wait on the ammonia to drop back to around 1 ppm.

done this and its been 6 days today and no sign of any drop (using api master kit)

i added 2ml of ammonia to a 60L tank last Saturday so readings were 4ppm and have 2 filters running and temp is 80F

is this part supposed to last 1 week?

Thanks

It can take a while for it to start up. There's really no set time in when it's going to happen, that's where the patience needs to kick in heh.

It can take a while for it to start up. There's really no set time in when it's going to happen, that's where the patience needs to kick in heh.

thanks, il keep waiting then :)

As promised, checked again today

Day 7.

Ph is 6.8 (same as normal tap water - so this has not changed)
Ammonia is 2ppm or 4ppm (i cant make out which colour it matches with on the api card)
Temp 80F

Hope this helps

I guess if it's a new tank and everything is 'clean' then you will have a wait before the first set of bacteria appear. I guess they can't just appear en mass from nowhere, that's why I used Stress Zyme in my 50 litre tank.

I'm 14 days into a fishless cycle on my first ever tank, the Homebase ammonia i'm adding is being eaten up and the nitrite is starting to show very well now.

This is after adding three doses of Stress Zyme. I used Stress Coat at the start too. And I have added lots of real plants (with snails which are growing really fast) some fish food, Flora Boost, moss, bogwood, lots of filtration, air movement and light etc.

You've only been going a week, you will have a while to wait yet. As I say I've done everything I can think of (and have read about) short of a squeeze from an established filter to get the bacteria going, and I'm still not ready after two weeks.

I also suggest Stress Zyme. I used it in my 5 Gallon and I got crazy Nitrite after a day or 2 but nada on ammonia and its been that way for most of my cycle. I wouldn't swear by it but I just got lucky.

Also I used fish food to cycle my tank with the add daily method but it shouldn't much that much of a difference.

There is no reason to become concerned if it is long as 2 weeks before that first drop shows up. When it does, things will start to move faster and faster on the ammonia front. After that you will be topping up to 4 ppm every day because the ammonia will be going away fast. At that point it could again take a while for the nitrites to start to drop. Again, when they do, things will again speed up. Eventually, typically 4 to 6 weeks, both ammonia and nitrites will be getting consumed in 12 hours and you can declare victory.

hi guys. Just an update.

It's taking 2weeks for the ammonia to drop! I've not put any ammonia in after day1. I'm just curious on what i need to do now?

Day 17.
Ammonia 0.5
Nitrite 5
Ph 6 or 7.4 (not 100% sure which colour it matches)

Do I wait till ammonia drops to 0 before topping it to 4/5ppm?

Most reactions

Back