Acceptable betta tankmates

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

i keep my female betta with 5 white cloud mountain minnows n 4 albino corydoras for a week now and nothing seems to happen...they just carry on with their own business...is this ok?

Is there any way to train two male bettas to live in the same tank together. Somwhere up above someone said they had a large tank with two males a handful of females and some other stuff. I assume if the tank is large enough they'll just establish their territory like they do in the wild, but what about a smaller tank. What if they're very friendly males?

Korki Buchek (You go see Borat moviefilm, he makes singing of my song Bing Bang when talks to group of young men of Atlanta).

well
this mite of been mentioned but theres toooooo much 2 read for me. :S

Q: Can a Betta live with white cloud mountain minnows?

A: no
white cloud mountain minnows at the most can take 23*c and bettas at the least can take 24*C.
not a good option imho.

david
Betas can live quite happily with WCMM, I kept my first Betta with some and they were fine. They can handle up to about 26C which is why they are ideal for coldwater or tropical tanks. I have 6 in my tropical community tank that I've had for over 6 months and they are fine.

great information!

I thought too that a Betta needs some room to roam also... he's in a 10g along with 2 albino cories and 4 danios. So far so good, he ignores the cories completely and only chases the danios away if they try to snatch away his food. They are not chasing him, and mostly they are in separated areas of the tank, he has a fake amazon sword plat declared his kingdom. Will see how it goes, and if doesn't the danios will get another home.

Bettas and cories appear to get along fairly safe...

I recently bought a batch of ghost shrimps and I will tell everyone that I saw the largest shrimp attacking my Betta twice leaving a considerable hole in his tail. :blink:
The first time I thought "Ok maybe the shrimp didn't intend to do it as they were swiming together" but the second time I actually saw the shrimp approach and attack my Betta as a predator. I got upset enough to let's say the shrimp became diced Betta food. :rolleyes:

I recently bought a batch of ghost shrimps and I will tell everyone that I saw the largest shrimp attacking my Betta twice leaving a considerable hole in his tail. :blink:
The first time I thought "Ok maybe the shrimp didn't intend to do it as they were swiming together" but the second time I actually saw the shrimp approach and attack my Betta as a predator. I got upset enough to let's say the shrimp became diced Betta food. :rolleyes:

What a scary scene! I woulda done the same thing though. Are you sure what you have are ghost shrimps? Haven't kept any myself with bettas, but I did read that some stores were selling prawns as shrimps, and the prawns do get quite large.

My Corys are still with the Bettas.

The Frog grew some white spots and died awhiel later and the Danios have died since the post above. I dont think it was from the Bettas, but I wouldnt put Danios in with Bettas again. The Danios are just too hyper to be placed in with the mellower Bettas and are too quick to get on the Bettas nerves.

As for Corys I find theyre happiest with others and I always keep a minimum of 3 together. And I still say Corys are fine with most Bettas - unless you have one thats peticularly foul tempered.

I have to add to this (Sorry to dredge up the entire thread)
But I have to contradict the whole 'ADFs are poop machines'. THey are negligable to the bioload indeed.
I had 3 ADFs in a 3 gallon and went two weeks with regular feedings, and 0 ammonia.. I ended changing the water out of pure paranoia.
I think though, they should have larger than a 2.5 to share because of the swimming space needed for ADFs and the betta. (Bettas should be in no less than 2.5 anyway.. So 4 - 5 gallons with ADF would be good).
Agian, sorry to dredge the thread up. Just thought I'd put in my experience.. :good:

I would state, if it hasn't been stated before (I didn't read the whole thread), that pleco make ok tankmates for bettas. I bought one for my gfs tank, and while Blue, her male betta, was puffing a lot for an hour or so....he soon realized that there was nothing to be worried about.

I would state, if it hasn't been stated before (I didn't read the whole thread), that pleco make ok tankmates for bettas. I bought one for my gfs tank, and while Blue, her male betta, was puffing a lot for an hour or so....he soon realized that there was nothing to be worried about.

hmmmm while they may be mostly compatible there are very few plecs small enough to go in your avergage betta tank. assuming the most any single betta is going to get is 10 gallons (and most people keep them in smaller) the tank's still not big enough for the smallest plec that can be kept alone (BN Plec) there's a few species that stay at 4" or so which would be OK except for they need to be kept in groups of 3/4 which is too many for small tanks.

What would you say about putting him in the same tank as tiger barbs and mollies? I put him in a holding container and dropped it in and he will try to fight anything that comes close to his cage.
Im about to go out of town and it would be easier to have him in a tank with others. I just dont want to come back with a whole lot of injured or better yet dead fish

lemme know please, thanks

ok i have a male betta 1 painted fish i sword fish 1 moon fish the sword an the moon fish are brightly colored red an orange an the painted in silver w/a red heart painted on each side ...ok i had 2 painted fish an a black mollie one painted came up dead an the mollie came up dead ...could my male betta be killing these fish ...they are in a 10G i onlu have 2 plants in it

you almost definitely cannot put a betta in with tiger barbs. Barbs are very nippy, and would just love beta fins. And when they try it, the beta's going to kill them...

Summermist - chances are very good that you're beta's killing these fish. Swords are very peaceful fish and they're brightly colored. A perfect target for a betta.

Bettas are just too aggressive for most of these standard community fish. Ottos and pleces and corries and such seem to work okay, probably because they're inhabbiting different areas of the tank.

im kinda agervated with my fish store they told me moons swords mollies where all ok w/a male betta 2 loacal stores told me that ..they said no tiger barbs no guppys one store went down through store an said at least 25 of there fish were ok ..i been watching tank an the betta had my sword an moon fish cornered an was niping them an chasing them ......now what the heck am i gonna do w/the betta its a very pretty male fish i dont really wanna buy a whole new tank for 1 beta any suggestions ?

im kinda agervated with my fish store they told me moons swords mollies where all ok w/a male betta 2 loacal stores told me that ..they said no tiger barbs no guppys one store went down through store an said at least 25 of there fish were ok ..i been watching tank an the betta had my sword an moon fish cornered an was niping them an chasing them ......now what the heck am i gonna do w/the betta its a very pretty male fish i dont really wanna buy a whole new tank for 1 beta any suggestions ?

You can get a divider for your tank - it goes right down the middle and has slits in it so water passes through, but it keeps your fish apart. Just be careful - make sure it sits snuggly down in the substrate, and get a hood/lid that doesn't allow ANY space for the beta to jump across.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back