Acceptable betta tankmates

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Petsmart keeps the female bettas and gouramis in the same tank. I have never seen them clash they actually keep to their own in there.

Back in Feb I started up a new tank. A 30 Gallon.

Heres whats in it, without incident...

7 Female Bettas
3 Cory Catfish
2 Kissing gouramis
2 small Silvertip Catfish
6 Small tetras (whos exact name escapes me right now)

Ive watched these guys for endless hours, they all occupy the same areas on the tank without nipping, chasing or killing.

"What would you say about putting him in the same tank as tiger barbs and mollies?"

I tried putting a male in with Barbs awhile back and as soon as the Betta hit the water all 6 Barbs were all over him with teh betta retreating quickly to a hiding spot. They really went after him and I got the betta out right away. I think he was in the tank a total of 7 or 8 seconds.My barbs were the mobsters of the tank.

just wanted to add that ive had one male betta with huge fins in with 5 cardinal tetras for about 3 weeks and thay get along fine, the tetras just get out of the bettas way, just as well as he owns the tank!

my 4 females are in a 5gallon with ghost shrimp and sails no problems at all

Dull colored and fast...hmm, that sounds like a danio :lol: I've never heard if danios are OK with bettas, but IMO, if in doubt, leave it out.

Hi there
I have a Betta called Bluey in a 5 litre fish bowl with 3 Danios and they all seem very happy and get on fine. Feeding time can be a bit of a drama because the Danios are piggy and fast so you have to do that simultaneously so that your Betta gets his pellets as well. I think that maybe Bluey isn't exactly an aggressive Betta??? I've tried to get him to flare up at his own image without any success so not sure what's going on there. Anyway they have been together in the bowl for 3 weeks now and all seems to be going ok so I hope it remains that way! Good luck if you do get the Danios. You will need to get at least 3 as they like each other's company! :good:

Can I keep a male and female together in a divided Eclipse 5?

as in girl one side boy the other?
That should be aright... mine cant see eachother :)

Yes, a girl side and a boy side. I've got plenty of black plastic canvas mesh, and I was thinking about getting two black report cover clips to use as tracks for the plastic canvas.

They'd still be able to see each other, though, through the holes in the plastic. I don't want to torture them with sexual frustration, but I also don't want to deal with 30 little cups of water as a nursery either.

Can I keep a male and female together in a divided Eclipse 5?

as in girl one side boy the other?
That should be aright... mine cant see eachother :)

Yes, a girl side and a boy side. I've got plenty of black plastic canvas mesh, and I was thinking about getting two black report cover clips to use as tracks for the plastic canvas.

They'd still be able to see each other, though, through the holes in the plastic. I don't want to torture them with sexual frustration, but I also don't want to deal with 30 little cups of water as a nursery either.

im sure they should be fine i know of people using clear dividers between the male and female....

Just a short note...

Bettas and balloon mollies do not play well together.

My tank is a 10 gallon with under gravel filter & power filter. The fish currently in the tank are three neon tetras, three black tetras, three corys, a rubbernose pleco, a cherry barb(?), two balloon mollys and a betta. Everyone seems to be getting along except the bettas and balloon mollies.

Now I gotta figure out what to do... Pull the betta or the mollies? Means getting another tank of some kind.

:(

my betta and cherry shrimps get along fine,he dive bombs them every know and again but has never attacked them

i a thinkin about adding endler liverbearers to the tank,they are bright but dont have long fins so it should be ok

i have seen a tank of endlers with a betta in it at a lfs,but then again i have seen a betta in a tank with neons at the same store so i cant be certain

what do you think?

endlers and betta

safe or not?

If you're willing to take a risk with a "questionable" tankmate, a tankmate that has worked for some but not others, I would suggest having a back up plan which is basically a second cycled tank setup incase things dont work out and fish must be seperated and moved out.

mine seems to get on with everything neons, glowlights, rtb, rainbows, harlequins, pristilla i only put him in the bigger tank as a temperory basis since the 10gal had a crack in it but he seems to be getting on fine been in there for about 3-4 months now with no problems :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back