Aaron's 40g Malawi Setup

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I have just bought 4 jewel cichlids, but i will be returning 2 once 2 have paired up, i also got some frozen daphnia to feed them, is once a week ok or should i do it less?

thanks for lookign.

IMO I wouldnt be putting in the Jewel Cichlids with the Mbuna, I would of definatley gone with the yellow labs.

Good Luck with Journal, Your rock sculpture looks nice :D

they are all getting on well, when i first introduced them it was the jewels that was doing the fighting lol. Probobaly warning them :cool:

The crabbro i took back has nearly wiped out the tank :crazy: they are all looking the exact same way as my other 2, they have a spare tank but that also has a male in :rolleyes:

:hyper:

Hi, last night i found a baby come out and feed, i don have a clue what it is. The fish i have got are:

jewel cichlid
copadichromis borleyi
astatotilapia latificiata
aulounocara jacobfreibiergi

i used to have pseudotropheus crabbro but i took them back as 1 of them had killed the 2 other crabbro i had. (and now it has started on the tank they have in the shop :crazy: )
I never noticed it in any of the bags of fish i have brought home and it is large for it to fit in a mouth (0.5cm/ 5mm).

P10117072.jpg

Thanks guys.

My astatotilpia has dropsy :( i dont know what causes it - anyone know?? it is currently in quarintine, dosed with interpet #9 and 1tbsp per gallong of interpet aqualibrium salt.

ph 8
NO3 <20
NO2 0
NH3 0

Most of the fish are colouring up now, 1 of the borleyi has a tint of yellow and is starting to get a deep purple head. the healthy astatotilapia is starting to get some yellow on it. The jewels have coloured u nicely. The aulounocara are still the same though. Everything running smoothly. Some pics that i have just took:

cichlid021.jpg

cichlid020.jpg

cichlid017.jpg

cichlid003.jpg

Guess who just found out how to have a faster shutter speed 8) :lol:
so much easier! I didnt think that the camera would have that function. I need more light though as the images are dark.
These are what i took:
1st pic, shame i forgot to turn the flash off :roll:
cichlid024.jpg

cichlid029.jpg

Mother & Baby (astatotilapia latifasciata)
cichlid028.jpg

P10117072.jpg

Quick update, looking nice now the rocks have got algae on, fish are getting quite big too, especially the A.jacobfriebiergi as you can see in the pic:

P1010141.jpg

P1010140.jpg

P1010138.jpg

P1010137.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

i took a look at him in the quarintine and he was fine, normal size, no swelling or rraised scales etc so i put him in the tank. Took a look at him he was respirating fine, swimming and chasing others etc, just gneral behaviour. I checked up on him 1hr on and he was laying upright in the corner ???? so i quickly got him back into quarinitine and he died 10minutes later.

I dont know why he got or how. Or even how he died. Lets hope the baby is a male.

Seems like things for you are going very well like me, when it comes to fish keeping.

I like the rock sculpture :p can we get a full stocking lisT?

Thanks

4 x jewel cichlids (2 are going back)
3 x copadichromis borleyi
2 x astatotilapia (1 is a baby)
2 x aulounocara jacobfriebiergi

do you think i am understocked for a cichlid tank?

Thanks

4 x jewel cichlids (2 are going back)
3 x copadichromis borleyi
2 x astatotilapia (1 is a baby)
2 x aulounocara jacobfriebiergi

do you think i am understocked for a cichlid tank?

Wierdly stocked, I dont really like mixing of lakes and rivers :D, as I understnad Jewel cichlids are river Africans aint they. I would prefer a tang set up in a tank that size, but each to their own

thanks, when i was sold them i asked where they were from and he said "a lake but not fom malawi" :/

I was originally going to go for a tang set up but i prefer the rocky haitat. plus there wasnt as much fish choice (and the ones they did have were expensive species)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back