A Tank Question

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Col

Reaction score
I bought my tank a week ago, set it going, and all was well until i realised the de-cholrinator i had bought didn't work. So i emptied all the water and the idea was to fill it up again immeadiatley using another decholrinator that takes out the chloramine as well as the chlorine.

Now what stopped me doing that straight away was the lack of money, lack of spare time but most importantly the hot weather wouldn't let me do anything (hayfever!). I finally got round to giving the tank a good wash yesterday, i washed the gravel and set everything going again.

The dechlorinator i used this time seems to have worked, there is no smell of chlorine. However, when i open the tank lid, it still has a smell of being 'shut up' like it was until the other day. I cleaned it the other day to make sure that smell dissapeared but it still remains.

I've done water tests and all seems fine in that area, any ideas as to waht the problem could be?

It is 22 litres (sorry, dunno what that is in gallons!) and yes, i have an undergravel filter running. It has only been turned on as of last night.

Im not that clued up about tanks, but i heard somewhere having a filter with carbon in it can help with the smell (was it carbon?)

My fry tank has a filter with carbon in it, and doesnt smell, whereas my big tank doesnt and it does smell abit when i lift the lid off to feed them :crazy:

The smell wouldn't affect the fish when i eventually put them in though, would it?

bear in mind this is going on my knowledge, perhaps one of the more experienced board members could advise you as well, just in case im wrong!

Allix said:
bear in mind this is going on my knowledge, perhaps one of the more experienced board members could advise you as well, just in case im wrong!
The water itself doesn't smell, only when i open the tank. Hopefully it isn't harmful! :thumbs:

-*-MicHAeL-*- said:
what do you plan on keeping in the tank
That is what i'm not quite sure on...!

Any reccomendations? :)

22 ltrs is about 5 gallons I think, 14 ltrs would be about 3. Quite a restricted choice for fish in either case. A betta would always be fine of course. Maybe a dwarf frog or two? A dwarf puffer for the larger tank or do they need 10 gallons? IMO both tanks are too small for livebearers. There must be something else though....

Healthy tanks have an 'earthy' smell that won't go away.

Anyway, for fish, 3 gallons is not a lot. A single male OR female betta would work. Alternatively, mosquito fish stay under 1". Make sure they are heterandria foromosa - not gambusia affinis - and keep in mind that they are livebearers so you'd do well to keep all females or a trio and remove any fry. You could also probably put in one of the smallest killies but you'd have to do some more research into that. dwarf puffers are supposed to have 5 gallons per fish but I don't know whether it's possibly ok to keep a single one in a 3 gallon. Maybe ask in the oddballs section.

Honestly though, I think you should avoid fish altogether. A couple of dwarf frogs would be nice and/or a snail BUT, what I realy had in mind was a little mini-planted tank. Your own miniature underwater jungle and then put in some cherry shrimp for color.

Most reactions

Back