A new beginner, I am. Need help!!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jyot S

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Just like many others, I am new to this group and to the forums as well along with the Fish hobby! :)

So I am lost in choosing either I should go for a tropical fish or cold water fish. If it is tropical, then I am not sure how much power consumption will the heater takes.

any suggestions on which fishes are easy to take care and handle? Tropical or cold?

I am planning ( almost done ) to buy 70L tank.

what all are necessary and basic things I would be needing to setup the tank?

What do you suggest , should I go for a group of fishes all together or 2 a week and then 2 later, something alike?

Which fishes requires less maintain-ace?

Not sure what to ask more, may be with the answers for the above questions, I may ask more things. Sorry for too many questions.

All advice's are very much welcome!

Welcome to TFF.

When it comes to maintenance, all fish tanks require much the same, whether tropical or temperate.

[When we use the term cold water, what we really mean is temperate, as no house will ever get cold enough to be frigid, at least not many. Goldfish would come under this temperate classification, as indeed do some "tropical fish" that do not really need too warm a temperature.]

Anyway, when you have fish in an aquarium you need to do regular maintenance, such as weekly partial water changes, filter cleaning, siphoning the substrate, and obviously feeding.

The only real difference will be the heater. If you live in a temperament climate where winters get cold, and if the house temperature is kept below whatever temperature the fish may require, then you need a tank heater. If you live in warmer climates where it will never get below say 20C/70F, even at night in "winter," then a tank heater is usually not going to be required. The temperature of the water in a fish tank will be pretty much that of the room. It takes longer for water to heat and cool than air, so if the room temperature drops the tank water temperature will slowly lower, and if the room temperature rises the tank water temperature will slowly rise similarly. Point is, the two will not be in sync, but they will be relative.

Tank size is going to play into this too. A 70 liter (roughly 20 gallon) tank is not large, from the fish's perspective, so you will be limited to smallish fish. This tank is too small for goldfish for example, so having temperate/cool water fish will mean fewer options for fish. There are many more tropical species suited to smaller tanks. Though again, room temperature (year round, day and night) may allow you to keep various "tropical" species without a tank heater.

Now, all that dealt with temperature and maintenance. You need to cycle a new tank, that is explained in our article here:
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back