A lone White Cloud Mountain Minnow with Danios???

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mrhian

Reaction score
My son has been saving money for along time to get started with an aquarium - it's only 30 litres but we finally had our fish yesterday and he chose 3 zebra and 2 gold Danios. When we got home we noticed an extra fish in the bag but assumed it was a small gold danio- turns out it's a WCMM.
Will it survive? At the moment the Danios seem to be pushing it away from food and it's swimming much slower than them. Can I do anything to help it?

if the tank has an established filter you can get some more to go with it.

Danios need a cool tank and do best when the temperature is allowed to drop to about 16C over winter and go up in summer. If they are kept in warm water all the time the females usually become egg bound and they don't live as long. A cooler winter temperature would also benefit the white cloud.

Great thank you. I've got 4 more to add - on the advice of the fish shop. Fingers crossed they'll be Ok!

if the tank has an established filter you can get some more to go with it.

Danios need a cool tank and do best when the temperature is allowed to drop to about 16C over winter and go up in summer. If they are kept in warm water all the time the females usually become egg bound and they don't live as long. A cooler winter temperature would also benefit the white cloud.
Yes it's a cool tank.

Have to mention this, danios are not really suitable for a 30 litre tank am afraid, in fact most danios do best in 3+ foot long tanks as they are very active fish to be blunt.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/danio-rerio/

As for WCMM a minimum of a 2 foot long tank or 60 litres / 15 gal US tank would be more suitable for these guys.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/tanichthys-albonubes/

While I know this is not what you want to hear or read about, it’s kind of essential to research and to know what suits your tank best to help fish thrive and be healthy as possible.

The advice of LFS or pet stores are not really to be relied upon as most staff are either not very knowledgable or just there to sell you the store products.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back