75G Planted For Beginners. Haha.

Looking good, looking forward to seeing it progress to :).Im wanting to start a planted tank myself, Wanting discus but im trying to find a good co2 system first. So may have to follow this thread i think, see how your's turns out :p

Funny thing, I want a Malawi tank badly! But I think having these two community tanks will give me a lot of learning time...Then someday....hehe I already measured a spot out in my bedroom. :grr: Hope this doesn't end up a lesson in doing everything all wrong :fun:

Got a great piece of wood and waiting on another of the same type... and took out the mismatched rocks, I'm only using the ones with a reddish color with I bet will look nice later...

I am disappointed that my water hasn't cleared more, now that I have the filter running...

Am also VERY disappointed...tests are showing 0 Nitrites, which is bad because the sponges I used from the 46g filter must not have had time to colonize. I had put them in a few weeks ago when my 46g was nitrite spiked, hoping they would be ready for the new filter. :( So I'm at square one, and it looks like I need to try something else. I want to cycle the tank BEFORE I plant it.

20120212170942.jpg

20120212170927.jpg

7 days in and my nitrites are at 2 ppm. I think that is a good sign. Doing a partial water change tomorrow (my tap has 1.0ppm as stated earlier} so that will raise the ammonia a little. I didn't want to buy ammonia and grow an overabundance of bacteria because I will stock a group of fish every weekend instead of everything at once. I think the bacteria would just die back is I over do it to start. My lfs is ordering some specifics for me.

Woohoo! ammonia was at zero today and nitrite slightly less dark, I did a 75% water change to add ammonia back. If it sounds like a waste of time...I was actually using the water change to practice my new system out. I got an adapter for my kitchen sink so I can screw a garden hose on it. That and the garden hose cost $8. The aqueon water changers were at least $20. Hip Hip Hooray for DIY! lol

Ohhhhh yeahhh! I got good wood!!! :rofl: :whistle: Here it is...

20120221224342.jpg

20120221224312.jpg

Please ignore the scattered paraphernalia . Rocks are holding the wood down for now, and the rest are caves that will be moved and hidden by plants on WEDNESDAY next week!! woohoo. I placed my plant order!!

haha also the water pumps are beauts right? No worries...will be removing for the serious pics.

I love your tank and stand; very crisp! Hahaha, I was already thinking, what are those blue things at the back of the tank :lol:!

I love the hardscape as you have it now; it looks like a real Texan desert :good:!

What did you do with the substrate in the end? Did you sandwich it as you had planned or did you put it underneath?

:lol: Thanks. I am beyond excited. I am doing root tabs instead of substrate, I decided once the substrate's nutrients were depleted, it would still be in the tank being useless. Root tabs are easier to pop out and replace...maybe not as effective as substrate. What more do the plants want from me though? lol I am gassin 'em, dosin 'em and lighten 'em. haha

Only way I'm having a hardscape in the future is for a herd of cichlids. But I'm too chicken for now. Lets see if I can keep angelfish and Gouramis alive first :)

Love the wood, looks really eerie, can't find wood like that round here, it's all redmoor.

Redmoor is great though. It's a waste really...plan to heavily plant.

That's cool it will look great with all the plants in plus the wood.

:) Hope so. Have looked through so many member's journal here, your's included. Stunning tanks to get inspiration from

There are some fantastic scapes on here, I normally look around at photos from interesting places for inspiration too.

I had another thread, where I was talking about my stocking last month, but I think I'll post my current list here too. I have to place my fish order on Monday with my LFS.

I am interested in breeding {for hobby} and possibly a LFS credit here and there. Never know when you might need an emergency heater. I wanted to try a more colorful angelfish, but these 2 were actually suggested by my LFS for ease in selling my fry to them {if I succeed}
How does this look? I have overstock worries...I'm not going to be overloaded am I?

The list:

2 - Black Angelfish 1 male/1 female {will be trading out until pairs form courtesy of my awesome LFS}
2 - Marble Angel fish 1 male/1 female {as above}
3 - Opaline Gourami 1 male/ 2 Female
15 - Kuhlis
15 - Julii Cory or Sterbai
2 - Pleco- I'm thinking about a Blue phantom and maybe a BN or FLash. The Bn would be fun to attempt to breed in the future.
{I hear birdsong when I think about BN Babies) :kana:
And finally...my dilemma. I need a good school.
My von rio's in my other tank hardly shoal together. I would like a group that will actually school and look awesome with all the plants. This is my masterpiece or bust tank after all. Suggestions for a school? And How many?
Thanks!

edit: Nixing the Blue phantom :( As lovely as he is...He eats plants. lol

Most reactions

Back