75G Planted For Beginners. Haha.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

FishFanatic04

I'm in Planted School.
Reaction score
I have decided to do a journal for this one and share the outcome. Everyone has been so helpful already, I hope I put that to good use.
Just a warning these first few weeks will be boring since it's all the set-up and shopping phases.

The Plan
75 Gallon Planted. (Masterpiece or Bust)

The Setup (subject to change)

Filter- Rena Filstar XP3

Lights- 48" 108W Freshwater AquaticLife T5 HO Dual Lamp Light Fixture

Water Flow- 2 Hydor Koralia Evolution 750 GPH Circulation Pumps (may only need 1)

Substrate- Play sand with Substrate Gold Laterite sandwiched (unless it may be a nightmare if loaches dig it up, then I will use it as a bottom layer instead)

Co2- Pressurized (I'm scared)

Fertilizer- Seachem Flourish + Root Tabs + Substrate gold (Open to suggestion)

Wood- Manzanita

Plants- Buying a plant package from a great company. My plants may change as needed to achieve a good end result. Here's the basic list (subject to change)

dwarf Sagittaria
lilaeopsis mauritiana
hornwort
Java fern
Kleiner Bar Sword
crypt wendtii green
crypt wendtii brown
crypt lucens
amazon sword
Brazilian water ivy
valspiralis
Aponogeton Crispus
Nymphaea Stellata (lily)

I haven't tested for gh/kh yet but I will before getting started with the actual tank. My PH is 8.0 from the tap but hopefully the co2 and mopani wood will bring that to a happier level. Bad news is that my tap also contains 1.0 ppm ammonia. Hope everything goes well regardless.
Please! help if you have a second!

Here we go...Hope the details show up.

036lr.jpg

033ux.jpg

024dtj.jpg

025po.jpg

027vr.jpg

hehe you are probably thinking "oh its just mopani wood" Well duh! But I guess everyone sees something special in their selections :)

What do you think?

I think it's great! Most of them resemble animals if you look closely enough (kind of like seeing animals in the clouds, I guess.) Very pretty.

:D Thanks. The biggest piece is what I'm working everything around. It's not very tall but I plan to have Angels and don't want to take up their swimming space with anything other then some tall plants. I'm so excited!!!!! haha

sigh. the store. lol A couple different ones actually. One piece was from petco for a small fortune.

Here I was hoping you'd tell us there's a great dry riverbed down there where you find tons of the stuff for free and will happily start shipping it to us!

lol I wish. We were planning to go scavenging around a near-by lake. I'll let you know if I find anything note worthy. My hubby is from SD and says hi. He doesn't meet a lot of people down here from his part of the country :)

Hey, hi to your husband! My mom's family is from SD. All my husband's exes are from Texas ...
cool.gif

Here's my current list for my co2 setup. I did this list from reading posts on here..mostly Livewire88's (hope he won't mind the reference)and the DIY fire extinguisher thread.

1} 5 lb. co2 cylinder {plus my awesome hubby is bringing home orphan fire extinguishers that are just laying around his work} but we don't know if they are co2 or usable etc. soon to find out. I'm probably getting the actual co2 cylinder anyway.
2}Bubble Counter
3}Check Valve
4}Cheaper timer
5}Regulator (subject to change)
6}prettier diffuser
7}Tubing
8)drop checker
9)Extra solution

Do I need a drop checker? Doesn't it do the same thing as the bubble counter?

Let me know if I'm going to blow my family up. Thanks. :unsure: :crazy:

edit: fixing list.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That's one of two areas I don't have any experience with. CO2 is beyond my meager means.

1} 5 lb. co2 cylinder {plus my awesome hubby is bringing home orphan fire extinguishers that are just laying around his work} but we don't know if they are co2 or usable etc. soon to find out. I'm probably getting the actual co2 cylinder anyway.
2}Bubble Counter
3}Check Valve
4}Timer for lights & Co2
5}Regulator (subject to change)
6}Diffuser
7}Tubing

Do I need a drop checker? Doesn't it do the same thing as the bubble counter?
Bubble counter - looks good quality, a bit ugly IMHO
Check valve - as above
Timer - probably overpriced for what it is, you just need socket timers, not a particular branded aquarium one
Regulator - not sure
Diffuser - fugly! glass ones are pretty, and less noticeable, and work as well
Tubing - fine, as long as it says CO2 tubing it's gravy

And yes, you do need a drop checker - it's a constant pH reading, not the same as a bubble counter. You also need reagent (bromo blue in most cases) and 4DKH water for it to work. Basically it ensures you don't kill your livestock by acidifying the tank!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks lol bromo blue is the ph test right? is it the high or low?

Most reactions

Back