50G Planted

ChilliPepper

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Not bothering with this anymore, obviously no one is actually interested :rolleyes: More interested in telling me that one of my fish is unhappy, when I know he is not he is just a moody wally :rolleyes:

Looking good!

In the 8th pic, the one with the heater in the background whats the bigger fish by the bogwood? :)

Looking good!

In the 8th pic, the one with the heater in the background whats the bigger fish by the bogwood? :)

That's my silly wally Keyhole :lol: He goes dark, then light in a matter of seconds :lol:

Typically it's due to stress. Fish don't change colour for no reason. That's all I'll say.

Love what you have done with the anubias and moss, fab!

I think Keyholes do have a tendency to change color when ready to mate, stress and insecure. I wouldn't worry at all, as long as he has hiding places as they are a shy fish.

Typically it's due to stress. Fish don't change colour for no reason. That's all I'll say.

I know my own fish :good: He has been getting, erm, horny for want of a better word, lately. He spent ages digging a pit in the substrate and guarding it. He is a funny chap. Keyholes are a shy fish, he does change his mood on and off for no apparent reason. There's nothing wrong with him, except maybe he wants a lady friend, but I can't find one big enough and a guaranteed lady so he'll have to wait :lol:

Getting back to the topic, I added two amazon swords today so the tank is looking a little better.

Love what you have done with the anubias and moss, fab!

I think Keyholes do have a tendency to change color when ready to mate, stress and insecure. I wouldn't worry at all, as long as he has hiding places as they are a shy fish.

Thank you :)

Yes, he has loads of hiding spots. Loves going in and out of the coconut shells :lol:

Just for referance. A happy looking keyhole.

DSC00620.jpg

when they have loads of blotchy brown patches on them, they are unhappy. this can be from your water, their tank mates or just from being startled. for the first 10 secs when my lights come on they go like that but rapidly calm down and are now getting more used to it. soon dimmer switches will be the norm to simulate natural conditions more. e.g lights gradually increase intensity for the first hour to their full instead of just being 'off' then 'on'

Excuse me, I know what a happy Keyhole looks like. I can just look over to my right and see a fine specimen in my tank.

I am fully aware of what the splotches etc mean. He can get funny from other fish making him jump, when the lights are first switched on, for no apparent reason. Then the next minute or so he is fine.

What is your point? This was actually a journal about my planted tank, not me asking for advise about my Keyhole. I have had him for about 18mths so think I know him by now.

This is a bit of a shame, I was interested -_-

Thanks, but the only other people who commented just wanted to give their two penneth on my fish, who I know very well as I've had him since about 1/2" after rescuing him from P@H ages ago.

Not bothering with this anymore, obviously no one is actually interested :rolleyes: More interested in telling me that one of my fish is unhappy, when I know he is not he is just a moody wally :rolleyes:
Theres no need to feel like that. If you know its healthy then dont let it bother you :good:

Not very good pics but only got a point and shoot working at the moment. Here he is about an hour ago. He doesn't like the camera that much, but he obliged for me.

DSCN2411.jpg

DSCN2409.jpg

In reality he is actually higher coloured than your fish, Nick16. Beautiful yellows, blues, greens and purples.

Most reactions

Back