40 Ltr Planted Tank

jonnyuk

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i have been thinking about writing a journal since i first got my tank, 4 months later i have decided to share my creations.

i have never really been interested in house fish, my dad had koi for years in the garden, some bloody big ones too. it was not until my brother got a tank and my little boy showed interest in it that i decided to get one for his birthday. now his birthday is not till november but it thought, get the tank, stick it in the garage and get it all setup. so i hunted on ebay and found a nice 40ltr with everything including fish going cheap, as it was close by i went and collected and put it in the garage, it was meant to stay there until my boys birthday.

i asked for 3" of water to be left in the bottom and for the filter to be left soaking in this water, it stayed like this for a day or two. The fish went into my brothers tank (come back to this later because it proved the catalyst to getting the tank in the house). i went to my lfs, bought some fert substrate and some live plants. at this point i had done little research on plants but knew enough about cycling to get my started.

so i through it all into the tank, as i thought it was not going in the house for a while i was not to concerned with how it looked and this is what it looked like, a bloody mess but it was a start,
i had two filters running trying to get rid of the dirty water from the fert substrate.

P8120439.jpg

my plants looked less than healthy to

P8120444.jpg

the tank stayed as is for about 3 weeks. i then noticed 3-4 tiny little fish swimming about, how the hell they got there i don't know. i can only assume they were in the water/gravel that came with the tank. Anyway 4 weeks had now passed and the fish in my brothers tank started looking, shall we say unwell. we tested the water and the ammonia was sky high. we had over stocked the tank by some way. i then had little choice but to take in 6 fish, 2 platies and 4 small mollies. we tested my water and to my suprise it was ok, 0 ammonia/nitrite but abit of nitrate.

the tank was still in the garage but i decided it needed to look abit better. 2 weeks later i bought more plants and put some bog wood in,
i also started adding JBL drops everyday for the plants

after redoing it the wife said it looked to nice and as it now had fish in might as well come in the house.

the plants started to look abit better but still not great. i also put everything in back to front, you can see the seems down the front of the tank. i changed the tank round again to put the seems at the back. i was also swapping filters at the time so had two in there.

pic1.jpg

now the right way round
P9100471.jpg

it stayed this way for a few more weeks. added my own fish, these been 4 pygmy corries, 4 ember tetra's, 4 galaxy rasbora. it also has some cherry shrimp.

the mollies left home to my lfs (as nobody wanted them), the platies returned home to a bigger tank.

At this point i bought a non aquatic plant, that soon came out after great advice from this forum.

plantid.jpg

Finally i wanted a complete change, inspired my ianho's nano tank.

newtanklayout2.jpg

and finally added my betta this monday

betta2.jpg

through my tanks life the stats have always been ok, either by judgement or luck my water has been perfect.

Sessons learned from my journey, when adding water for the first time use a bowl/plate etc, saves you so much hassle time than trying to get your water clear, test your water, don't over stock and if you have plants make sure they have enough goodies to grow, oh get the tank the right way round when you set it up!.

In a tank my size i have small fish so i can have more of them with one bigger special fish.

the only thing i want to do is add a small external filter, boyu or resun for example and get rid of the internal to give me more room, maybe add a few more corries and rasbora.

Not really a journal, more a story.

We all find the shrimp and MTS snails the most interesting things in the tank.

The Tank looks awesome!!

I'm glad everything worked out nicely despite some minor setbacks.

looks great Jonny, the rocks really suite this scape.

thanks for the comments,
looks great Jonny, the rocks really suite this scape

i never really thought of rocks until i saw your scape, once i had seen it my heart was set.

i have wanted a betta since i first got my tank, for the last month i have been keeping an eye out at all my lfs and ebay etc. i saw him come in and reserved it. pratical fish keeping wanted pics of him apparently but he was not playing ball. Another guy wanted the lfs to hold him for 3 weeks, i beat him to it :shifty:

its been a real labour of love. now its almost finished i'm gonna miss the fiddling and buying bits for it, really would like a bigger tank but i have nowhere to put it and the other half has said noway!

I think once the internal filter has gone i'll get another tall plant for the back and that will be that, not allot else i can do to it.

has anybody got good suggestions for a colourful low maintenance plant for the back of the tank that will grow to 16" tall.

looks awsome with the rock in there much better than before. I always wanted a betta, but the one I got was evil and had to go back :(

Looks much better bro. Loving the rocks. are they then ones from a5 the other day. I will come round a the weekend to have a look as i am back. :hyper:

fingers crossed my betta is behaving, as are the other fish, time will tell. i was very worried about adding him but thought if it goes wrong he will have to go in a tank of his own.

they are the ones from A5, Claire is working on sat so come round then if you want. your led's have arrived to.

i added a new plant over the weekend, think its called Hygrophyla polysperma "ceylon" or Ludwigia palustris, located front right, mid right (pink leaves)

there is a ton of cabomba under the filter leaning forward. my external filter should be here in the next week, need it fairly quickly as the lower branches of the cabomba re going yellow. i assume because its not getting much light under/round the filter. i also need to tidy the cables at the back but that can wait until i install the new filter. would also like to get rid of some of the front plants and replace with less leavy type plants. starting to look abit messy i think (maybe they just need a good trim)

newtank3.jpg

i have also listed what i think are all my plants, except the tall grass like stuff.

back left behind rock = Rotala sp. 'wallichii'
back right under filter = Cabomba caroliniana

mid right in front of Cabomba caroliniana= Alternanthera sp
mid far left in front of Hygrophyla polysperma "ceylon" = Anubias Lanceolata
mid far right, mid centre next to rock = Nesaea sp

front left/right = Anubias minima (Anubias minima)
centre behind black rock inbetween the two tall red plants infront of cambomba = Aponogeton ulvaceus or Aponogeton crispus
front right, mid right (pink leaves) = Hygrophyla polysperma "ceylon" or Ludwigia palustris

i have now removed my internal filter and replaced by a resun external. i have also trimmed my Cabomba that is how very short, hopefully it will grow and hide the inlet pip.

i purchased some myrio red that is hiding the heater, again hopefully this will grow tall to make a red and green backdrop to the tank.

i have also added a killfish with 3 more on order, also have some micro crab on order.

tank5.jpg

tank4.jpg

tank3.jpg

tank2.jpg

tank1.jpg

Looking very healthy and nice. What type of Killifish did you add? :fun:

think its a clown (black with white stripes), saw the ones you have and thought they look really nice, also add some interest to the top of the tank.

poor guy was in a big holding tank in my local MD, they did not even know they had him so they gave him to me. can't say better than that.

my tank looks abit random in the pics,i'll take some decent pics soon with a good camera rather than my blackbery!

cool!
cloown killfish are brilliant little things. Does your kili have a blue and/or red tail? Is he small?

Most reactions

Back