4 Nerite Snails And Now Eggs Everywhere!

Ellieabbott4

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i recently brought 4 nerite snails from my lfs and was told that they wouldn't breed in a normal aquarium. so yesterday i was doing my usual water change and i saw what looked like sesame seeds all over the tank (in the corners, by the filter and on ornaments). so i looked online to see what nerite snails eggs look like and its their eggs! i was reading that they breed when they are in brackish water......this is what has got me worried. i test my water regularly and my ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are all fine. the only this that is always a bit high is the ph and water hardness. whilst im happy that they are breeding im also worried about my aqaurium and fish. all the fish seem healthy. is it possible for them to breed in a normal aqaurium? ive uploaded a few pictures of what they look like:

eggs_zps99d3053d.jpg

eggs2_zps1e2e9b19.jpg

They will breed and lay eggs but the young will not survive in freshwater, i believe they need brackish water for their larval stage or something along those lines.

Ellieabbott4 said:
 i was reading that they breed when they are in brackish water......this is what has got me worried. 

No need to worry as your water would not be brackish unless you deliberately made it so, otherwise your drinking water would taste salty :p

Oh ok, that's alright then. I didn't think my water could be brackish but you never know these days

Stick the eggs in another tank that you set up as brackish and you can breed them for selling on! :)

Now that's a good idea. Would the other tank need a heater and a filter still? And how do I make the water brackish?

Most reactions

Back