30 gal. tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Organized Chaos

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just got a 30 gal long tank and was wondering if I could do ciclids in it or is it not big enough? I was looking for something colorful. I do not plan on getting a larger tank, this one is already bigger than what I have room for.

If it is possible, how many, and what would you recomend?

You could easily have a species tank of some type of mbuna. My personal choice would be auratus. You could have one male and 6-8 females. They get about four inches. But make lots of hiding places. Auratus are the fish on my avatar.

I have a 29 gallon tank and my cichlids have seemed to outgrow it. My boyfriend on the other hand has a 30 gallon tank and is doing well. He has three yellow labs and two blue zebras and like five siamese algae eaters and plants. They all get along great. One of the yellow labs just had babies! :D They are so cute. We had to put her in another tank though b/c she was getting picked on. I think a 30 is fine and I would say 5 fishies would be good.

if you're looking for soemthing colourful i would surely ask u to get rams hehe. they're pretty colourful and prefer slightly acidic water

mbuna like the auratus are less aggressive when overcrowded. you could get several different species of mbuna and add it to the tank. if you go with several different species of mbuna, go for the more aggressive of them. would not put yellow labs in with them.

if going with the auratus, make sure that you get auratus. chippokae have the same female coloring as the auratus except that the auratus has a thin white line. chippokae is just yellow and black striped. same temperament though.

also with the mbuna try to pick out three females and one male. will also help out with the aggression.

mbuna means rockfish. add lots of rock for them to have places to hide and remember that they are diggers. if you add alot of rock, make sure it will not topple on them after digging. you can silicone a rock formation together using 100% silicone.

Most reactions

Back