2Nd Dose Of Ich Treatment - Should I Half Dose? (I Have Tetras)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

214jay

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello.  Sorry for all the questions at the moment but I want the best for my fish.  I need to add the second dose if ICH treatment tomorrow and it contains 'Formaldehyde and Malachite Green Oxalate'.  The label states that this medication is not suitable for Mormyrids, nothing about tetras, but after research I have read this treatment could easily kill them and I should half dose.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

I did a little bit of a search, have you seen this article?
http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/formalin

Take special note to the pH and temperature mention and compare it with your tank. Also try to calculate the water content of your tank as close as possible, since the substrate and decor will reduce the actual water capacity of the tank.The author of that article used the medication on his Tetras, so I think you should be fine. Nonetheless I think you should keep an eye on your fish to see if they show signs of distress so you can do an immediate water change if they do!

A very good article, not one I found on my search so thank for taking the time to find it.  I have a fairly high PH so will stick to the full dosage and keep an eye.  Many thanks.

remember to continue treating two days after signs of ich go away and then do a water change I literally just had an ich probem to all my tetras where fine and I gave full doses, also remove any filter media if possible but keep your water flow water will get a tad cloudy but it helps the medication work better, also try to add some stress coat to help calm their nerves meds can be hard on fish.

The white cysts disappeared 2 days ago and due for the next dose of treatment today. Can I use stress coat with this treatment? Or should I wait for a few more days?

I'm glad that your fish are getting better! :)

As to adding stress coat? Personally I try to avoid adding products to my tank. I believe you treat when they are sick and need meds, you add dechlorinator to keep the cycle in the filter, the rest is taken care of with fresh water! A long time ago I read somewhere "Freshwater fish love fresh water!" and that stuck with me.

All these products just create a chemical soup, and probably are only good for the seller! But that is an opinion not shared by everyone!

I use api ick cure so I know its safe im not sure bout mixing brands and I completely agree with fish crazy but I use it when medicating or stressful situations and it works for me and the filter usually filters it all out so I havnt seen a problem using product but I also don't use much.

Yeah I have had a good read and I think the Interpet stuff only allows mixing with its own product.  A few more days and I can start doing water changes and getting everything back on track.

good luck let us know how it goes

uh....uh.....what about the temperature raise? 82-84/86 helps to decrease the ick
book.gif

book.gif

All is still looking good this morning, has been no signs of white spot for days and the fish are not rubbing themselves on the decor anymore.  I have the temperature at a steady 82
good.gif
This temp should drastically speed up the ICH lifecycle.

The tank is certainly looking bare now, looking forward to getting back on track in a month or so and slowly introducing some more fish, the shoaling fish are looking a bit lost.
fish.gif

Most reactions

trending

Back