24G Nano Cube Or 20G Fluval Fw Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

stevewood

Reaction score
After 3 years of FW i've decided that the hours spent in LFS gazing at SW fish, Corals and Inverts is getting too much and I need to join the salty side. I've been reading articles on here for about 2 years on and off but can't decide which tank to go with.

I'll be starting of FOWLR and then moving on to adding lower light requiring corals.

So i'm stuck between using either my current FW tank - a Fluval Roma 90 (20g UK) with 2 x 15w tubes 600mm long, 350mm wide 450mm high

or the D-D 24g Nano Cube

I like the idea of an all in one set up (with some mods), but just wondered if my current tank set-up is an option, if not i'll ebay it as it's in mint condition. If I do decide to keep it do I need a sump/refugium?

Once i've decided what to do I'll be getting all the hardware over the next few weeks and then it'll be 'go time' with the cycling process.

:hi: Steve to the salty side

I wouldn't use either tank to be honest - try to get something that is 125 litres or above for your first salty tank :good: 20 gallons is very limiting stock wise and the more water you have the easier to keep stable. If you like 'all in ones', maybe go for the larger 28 gallon D&D or the orca 550 which is 26 gallons.

There are some great bargains around if you are happy to be patient and boy do youhave to be patient on the salty side

Seffie x

Honestly...the most flexible set up for a nano tank is a 20G long. Length gives room for aquascaping and the shallower depth allows better light penetration.

If you are looking for a challenge and have space issues, a nano reef is the way to go. If you are truly looking for a nice healthy marine tank that you can stock to the gills, the larger the tank the better. 75 or more for marine... a 200 gallon if you can do it.

As for the nano cube, hey....all the directions right here. LOLOL. :good:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/84931-24g-nano-cube-dx-nano-reef-setup/

SH

Honestly...the most flexible set up for a nano tank is a 20G long. Length gives room for aquascaping and the shallower depth allows better light penetration.

SH

True, but stocking is very limited - bigger is better :good:

Seffie x

Well...we nano'ers will argue on that one seffie. Bigger may be better but it's how you do the tank. LOL. SH

OK thanks for the advice.

Steelhealr, i've read your 24g Journal twice in the past month, it's pretty much been my bible.

In an ideal world i'd go for a larger tank, but nano is my only real option at the moment, so 24g or 28g max. We've got space for larger but it'd make things tight in the living room and the other half classes the 90 as big!!

The 24G has lasted me 5 years so far. It's a nice shaped tank. Needs some modding but none of which are really hard to do. The advantage of the 24G is that you can create sumps in the back chamber.

I just looked up the Fluval on the net. The lighting will be whoa-fully inadequate but that is not bad for starting out. Also. the depth is about ?18 inches which is the same as the NC.

Look at the dimensions of a 20G long:
30"L x 12"W x 12"H

See the difference? The Fluval 90 is:
23.6"L x 13.8"W x 17.7"H

SH

The one thing I would bear in mind albeit you may want to start out as a FOWLR in a 24G you will be limited to how much stock you can keep about 4 fish dependant on species, you soon will be looking at all the nice Corals and inverts to add to the tank so I would make sure which ever solution you have has a nice light solution like the 24G or Orca TL550 or you may end up shelling out more for new lights in the future :)

If you don't want SPS, you can keep almost any LPS in that tank and THAT gives great color. SH

SH, with reference to your last comment do you mean the 24g Nano?

I think he does, yes.
steelhealr's nano tank diary was my bible too and I used many of his ideas on my first marine tank and all to great success. I have to echo the sentiments about the D-D 24 gal as I happily kept LPS and softies under the stock lighting and also successfully kept Montipora digitata in it too just by keeping an eye on my magnesium levels. Having said all that I wanted my tank to focus on the corals anyway rather than the fish and had small coral and rock based fish mainly with just a pair of clowns for the main water column :D
I loved the tank and only shut it down through lack of space when I upgraded to a larger tank.

Another thing to remember - once you buy your first coral you'll soon be hooked and yearning for more, so it makes sense to have a tank that has good lighting from the offset. The D-D power compact bulbs are superb imo :lol:

Right, that's it, time to get this adventure underway. 24g D-D it is!

Slight change of plan, now getting a Juwel Rio 125 with T5 lighting. The wife has finally given approval for a bigger tank, wooo!

Hopefully picking it up tomorrow. The plan is to set it up as fowlr, running one koralia 1 powerhead, keeping the juwel powerhead and filter box for the heater and rowaphos/lr rubble area. I was thinking of putting the lr rubble in netting for easy removal.

Does the above sound ok? Would one coarse sponge help for detritus removal? Or should i remove the internal filter box, forget rowaphos and lr rubble and just rely on lr filtration and water changes?

What heater should i get? Not so sure about the jewel one's.

Shall i paint the rear of the tank or apply a plain background with vaseline?

Sorry for all the q's, there will be a few more i'm sure!

Forgot to add, i will be adding corals at a later date so i want to get the tank set up now, run it for 6 months and then add some softies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back