20gallon Journal - Updated Daily - Indir

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

excellent, for now I would leave things as they are, you're about bang on 1" per gallon, with good filtration and maintenance you can go to 1.5/2" per gal so there is room for more fish but in an immature tank and (I don't mean this to be derogatory at all) a novice fishkeeper it's good to leave things to stabilise for a few months at this stocking level.

Okay just making sure :) Any way of identifying that my Rams have paired up? They are gaining their colours very well now.
I determined the more dull was a female by the vent (found of a few sites) and now shes gaining alot of her colour which makes me happy. So any ideas on how to tell if they have paired up?

Regards,
Indir

it's really just their behviour, do they look like a couple in love? :hyper:

it takes a little while to start to see it but you'll notice weather they are squabbling, weather they hang around together etc, then research breeding behaviour you'll find with cichlids they often do sort of dummy runs when they're pairing up so they may exhibit some of the breeding behaviours but not all of them.

Well they swim together a fair bit, sit together in the treasure chest, occasionally will chase each other in a line (hope this is the dummy runs your talking about :p ) and once i caught them sorta lip locking for a second or two then continued to swim around together side by side lol. Is that normal thing for them?

Also, i have these soap like bubbles appearing on the surface of the water, up against the glass. Any ideas what could be causing it? I havnt used any chemicals or anything like that, nothing different to before :S

Regards,
Indir

EDIT:
Here are the pictures of the rams as promised (more clearer then my phone camera):
Male: (you can see his vent that i used to identify, its quite small and hard to see and pointed at an angle)
Female-Ram-Side.jpg

Female:
Female-Ram-Side.jpg

Together: (you can see her vent that used to identify, its bigger and easy to see compared to the male)
Rams-Together.jpg

Hmm in need of some help, am a bit concerned. My female ram who is starting to gain her colours now which is great is getting a little agressive... Only while eating though, she is eating algae tablets till i go to the store and get some sinking cichlid pellets, but anyway she will chase away other fish while she eats.

Also, sometimes she chases the male Ram and does it even more while feeding... Just before chasing she will flare her fins and then chase with her fins flared...

Is this normal behaviour for rams?

Regards,
Indir

any cichlids you'll see some fiestyness, monitor it but if she's not hurting the other fish and the other fish are managing to get something to eat as well then it's fine.

with sinking food it can be as simple as dropping some at one end and some at another, she can't guard both ends at once so both rams will get an end of the tank and some food.

Hehe tried that :p she doesnt mind them eating sometimes. She only chases away the male ram and ocasionaly the danios if they group up. She goes to all the tablets and sits for a while lol. She chases the male all over the tank as if to nip him , but doesnt do any damage to him.

They all end up eating which is good. Guess im being paranoid. Ill continue to monitor the chasing to make sure she isnt hurting anybody.

Any ideas for the soapy like bubbles on the surface edges?

Regards,
Indir

Update 24 hours after previous:
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 10

Did a thorough gravel vacuum and a 75% water change because my water was quite cloudy. It is now alot better :) and the fish are swimming alot again :D

How often can i feed frozen brine shrimps? Since i heard that blood worms shouldnt be fed more then once a week.

Regards,
Indir

Hey all, gonna buy sinking pellets for the rams tomorrow. What sort of food should i be out to get for them to eat? :S

Also, how often can i feed frozen brine shrimp (since bloodworms are once a week)?

Oh yeah and any ideas on how to get rid of this soapy stuff on the surface edges of my tank :S Its like soap bubbles, but have not used any chemicals in the tank at all :S And ive tried changing the water but it comes back after a few hours :S Cant think of what it can be... or how to get rid of it :S It isnt a large amount, but it is the front area of my tank, tiny bubbles in the top edge of the water surface.. Can get a picture up if need be?

Regards
Indir

yeah get a pic up please, i've not got a clue what it is though sorry!

try tetra prima or any small sinking cichlid pellets for the rams.

remember all the fresh/frozen meaty treats make a nice change in their diet but they don't contain good all round nutrition so shouldn'y be used as a staple. use a good quality processed food for day to day then give them a treat of bloodworms/brine shrimp etc etc maybe once or twice a week.

Ok thanks for that MW, great explanation :) Oh yeah how about cucumber for the BNs, how often should i feed that to them?

And here is a picture of the soap like bubbles, this is the only part of the tank that has it :S
Soap-On-Water.jpg

Any ideas what it could be, or what it is caused by?

Regards,
Indir

EDIT: I tried to get rid of it with water changes and thorough gravel cleaning but no luck, water tests are as follows:
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 10
So im out of ideas lol

veggies for the pics is a slightly different matter, that should be every couple of days.

meant to say plecs not pics..... just a type-o :blush:

can't view pics from work so no commetn on those just yet!

Hehe no problem. They basically look like a small amount of bubbles all bunched up in the middle of the tank, but on the edge touching the front panel if that makes sense lol...

Thank you, how should i go about preparing the cucumber for the BNs?

Regards,
Indir

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back