200 Litre Stocking Help

Sholiver

Reaction score
I have a recently set up 200l tank, which I cycled with media from my 8 week old 40l tank (Not set up at the moment). So far I have:
2 male Sailfin Mollies (~6cm)
2 male Swordtails (~4.5 cm)
12 Cardinal Tetras (One is a neon I think)

The PH is about 7.2, the Ammonia and Nitrites are 0, with the Nitrates about 10. The water is quite hard, 120KH, and 180GH. I have a sand substrate, with a few plants and a decent amount of driftwood. The filter is a Fluval U4, and I keep the temperature at 25-26 C

If possible, over the next months, I would like to add a few Yoyo Loaches (5 or 6, as many as I can have really), and a Bristlenose Pleco, maybe a few Amano Shrimp. Does this sound like too much to anyone? If so, are there any suggestions for different amounts or different fish? Should I get more Sailfin Mollies or Swordtails?

Attachments

• 22546953_1872709679410383_993422118_o.jpg
    22546953_1872709679410383_993422118_o.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 76
Welcome to TFF. :hi:

First off, we need to pin down the hardness of your source water. You mention "it is quite hard, 180 GH" but we need too know the unit of measurement. I doubt this is 180 degrees (180 dH), so if it is mg/l (or the equivbalent ppm) it is moderately soft/hard. 180 mg/l or ppm would equate to 10 dH. This is not really hard enough for mollies, and just makes it for swordtails. Mollies would also appreciate a higher pH. Cardinal tetras are thee exact opposite; they would be happier with softer and acidic water.

As for the loaches, what are the tank dimensions (length and width)? Loaches need a group, minimum five or six, as they are highly social fish and establish a solid hierarchy. Any fewer and there could be serious cases of bullying and fish loss from it. They are also territorial, establishing their "home" in suitable chunks of wood having tunnels, crevices or similar. They like to select their own space, and will defend it, so there needs to be a lot of options at the start. This species, Botia almorhae (may sometimes still be seen under the name B. lohachata which is deemed a synonym) is relatively peaceful for loaches but does attain six inches so it needs at least a 4-foot tank.

Shrimp will undoubtedly get eaten by loaches, just so you know.

Byron.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

First off, we need to pin down the hardness of your source water. You mention "it is quite hard, 180 GH" but we need too know the unit of measurement. I doubt this is 180 degrees (180 dH), so if it is mg/l (or the equivbalent ppm) it is moderately soft/hard. 180 mg/l or ppm would equate to 10 dH. This is not really hard enough for mollies, and just makes it for swordtails. Mollies would also appreciate a higher pH. Cardinal tetras are thee exact opposite; they would be happier with softer and acidic water.

As for the loaches, what are the tank dimensions (length and width)? Loaches need a group, minimum five or six, as they are highly social fish and establish a solid hierarchy. Any fewer and there could be serious cases of bullying and fish loss from it. They are also territorial, establishing their "home" in suitable chunks of wood having tunnels, crevices or similar. They like to select their own space, and will defend it, so there needs to be a lot of options at the start. This species, Botia almorhae (may sometimes still be seen under the name B. lohachata which is deemed a synonym) is relatively peaceful for loaches but does attain six inches so it needs at least a 4-foot tank.

Shrimp will undoubtedly get eaten by loaches, just so you know.

Byron.

The hardness is in ppm, so I'm guessing it's as you say. I had a feeling that the water would be too hard for the Tetras, is it a big problem for them, or will it be relatively okay? Same for the Mollies? Is there anything I can do to keep both species happy?

The tank is 1 meter long (3 feet 4 inches) and 40 cm wide (1 foot 4 inches), so just under what you recommend. The tank has got a few "caves" in rocks and driftwood, and with some small rearrangements i could easily make some more. Do you think that should be okay for loaches? if not is there another type of Loach you would recommend which is similar. I've pretty much fallen in love with loaches.

The tank is 1 meter long (3 feet 4 inches) and 40 cm wide (1 foot 4 inches), so just under what you recommend. The tank has got a few "caves" in rocks and driftwood, and with some small rearrangements i could easily make some more. Do you think that should be okay for loaches? if not is there another type of Loach you would recommend which is similar. I've pretty much fallen in love with loaches.

In less than a 4-foot tank, I would not recommend Yo Yo loaches as I previously noted. There are other species. The dwarf loach, Ambastaia sidthimunki, in a group of at least five, preferably six or seven, would work. More info on this species here:
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/ambastaia-sidthimunki/

The pattern on this fish is somewhat similar to the Yo Yo, but there are a few species like this. The dwarf is your best option. Another "dwarf" is Micronemacheilus cruciatus, less often seen but a lovely aquarium loach. Again, a group, six or seven minimum.
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/micronemacheilus-cruciatus/

The hardness is in ppm, so I'm guessing it's as you say. I had a feeling that the water would be too hard for the Tetras, is it a big problem for them, or will it be relatively okay? Same for the Mollies? Is there anything I can do to keep both species happy?

No, to answer directly. Some fish have adaptability (depends upon the GH and the species), some are more demanding. Given your water parameters, the tetras may fare better than the mollies. I would not have mollies in water this soft, they are not going to do well. And while you're at it, I would forget swordtails too. Especially with any loaches. Suitable tankmates with loaches could be some of the tetra species, or some of the smaller and more peaceful barbs and danios, or the medium rasbora. Loaches are fairly active fish, so tankmates should be similar.

There are other species. The dwarf loach, Ambastaia sidthimunki, in a group of at least five, preferably six or seven, would work. More info on this species here:
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/ambastaia-sidthimunki/

Another "dwarf" is Micronemacheilus cruciatus, less often seen but a lovely aquarium loach. Again, a group, six or seven minimum.
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/micronemacheilus-cruciatus/
I'll Definitely look into both of these, thank you for the recommendations. I wouldn't want to get fish which wouldn't have enough room to be happy.
Gonna have to have a rethink about the Mollies, but thanks again for the advice. It's difficult to find specific information on the internet with all of the conflicting opinions.

I'll Definitely look into both of these, thank you for the recommendations. I wouldn't want to get fish which wouldn't have enough room to be happy.
Gonna have to have a rethink about the Mollies, but thanks again for the advice. It's difficult to find specific information on the internet with all of the conflicting opinions.

I answer this issue so often...the conflicting "advice" we can get. Any one can set up a website and say this or that, but that doesn't mean he/she knows anything at all about the subject. Reliable sites exist. And of course on a forum you have peer review of comments any of us make, so it is easier to weed out the nonsense.

Seriously Fish is a site we rely on, as do professional ichthyologists too. Here's their profile on the common molly:
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/poecilia-sphenops/

GH is given as 15-30 dH, and pH 7 to 8.5. This species will not last in softer water. Please remove them and return them, they will slowly weaken and die.

Most reactions

Back