20 gallon long

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gwand

Supporting Member
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
My 20 gallon long is cycled. I received a shipment of fish from Dan’s today. A male female pair of gold sailfin Mollys and several red coral teacup platys. The livestock are beautiful and arrived healthy. I love the way Dan packs up his fish. Each fish was individually contained. He placed sufficient heaters in the box to maintain a 70° temperature when opened. IMG_0592.jpegIMG_0594.jpegIMG_0601.jpeg

It’s the first day with my gold sailfin Molly couple and I already see golden fry in the tank. I never had live bearers before. I have no room to raise them. Do I let the other fish prey on the little guys? I guess I could try and raise them for a while and then see if my local fish store will take them. What do folks generally do?

Your call, I would let them live in the tank if they don't get eaten. Some fish stores will not take fish, but most of the good ones will.

I no longer keep any fry from my Angel fish because I sold too many to the local stores, a town of 90000 can only absorb so many fish of a single species. I now let my fish breed, but I also let the other fish eat the fry.

I wouldn't go through any effort to raise the fry unless you want to try your hand at raising fry. It is a lot of fun but can mean a lot of work too. I have never bred Mollies but I think you stand a chance of the fry living with the parents and the other fish. They certainly look nice enough to be able to sell, or at worst, give to a local fish store to rehome.

Very nice, you really need to keep them in mildly brackish conditions, if not already, if you want to take good care of them.

I am seeing unusual fish behavior for me. This has to do to my lack of experience with different kinds of fish. My CPD‘s and minnows only eat from mid-level of the tank. If food falls past them they will not eat from the substrate surface. In my 20 g long the platys and mollys eat from surface, mid level and right off the substrate. Fascinating.

I found a second gold sailfin Molly fry that has survived the onslaught. I may have two fry to raise or give away.

IMG_0632.jpeg
IMG_0637.jpeg

Lovely fish! I don't take any of my fish's eggs to raise out, only one store near me that will take them and I have already populated all the tanks in my house. Lol.

Lovely fish! I don't take any of my fish's eggs to raise out, only one store near me that will take them and I have already populated all the tanks in my house. Lol.
This is the first time I’ve had live bearers. I have no room at the Inn either. If the fry make it, I’ll try to donate to my lfs or Petsmart. I would love to keep them because the gold sailfin Molly is a stunning fish.

They are very beautiful. I just let nature take over and make my son put extra fish in one of his tanks. I have cory cats that will not stop laying eggs in one tank and guppies that are just rediculas when it comes to breeding in another. I have a pair of rams that had their first batch of eggs 5 days ago. No fry this time. I do nothing at all to try and breed any of them. They seem to be happy enough to want share more of themselves. Lol

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back