20 gallon long

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gwand

Supporting Member
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
My 20 gallon long is cycled. I received a shipment of fish from Dan’s today. A male female pair of gold sailfin Mollys and several red coral teacup platys. The livestock are beautiful and arrived healthy. I love the way Dan packs up his fish. Each fish was individually contained. He placed sufficient heaters in the box to maintain a 70° temperature when opened. IMG_0592.jpegIMG_0594.jpegIMG_0601.jpeg

It’s the first day with my gold sailfin Molly couple and I already see golden fry in the tank. I never had live bearers before. I have no room to raise them. Do I let the other fish prey on the little guys? I guess I could try and raise them for a while and then see if my local fish store will take them. What do folks generally do?

Your call, I would let them live in the tank if they don't get eaten. Some fish stores will not take fish, but most of the good ones will.

I no longer keep any fry from my Angel fish because I sold too many to the local stores, a town of 90000 can only absorb so many fish of a single species. I now let my fish breed, but I also let the other fish eat the fry.

I wouldn't go through any effort to raise the fry unless you want to try your hand at raising fry. It is a lot of fun but can mean a lot of work too. I have never bred Mollies but I think you stand a chance of the fry living with the parents and the other fish. They certainly look nice enough to be able to sell, or at worst, give to a local fish store to rehome.

Very nice, you really need to keep them in mildly brackish conditions, if not already, if you want to take good care of them.

I am seeing unusual fish behavior for me. This has to do to my lack of experience with different kinds of fish. My CPD‘s and minnows only eat from mid-level of the tank. If food falls past them they will not eat from the substrate surface. In my 20 g long the platys and mollys eat from surface, mid level and right off the substrate. Fascinating.

I found a second gold sailfin Molly fry that has survived the onslaught. I may have two fry to raise or give away.

IMG_0632.jpeg
IMG_0637.jpeg

Lovely fish! I don't take any of my fish's eggs to raise out, only one store near me that will take them and I have already populated all the tanks in my house. Lol.

Lovely fish! I don't take any of my fish's eggs to raise out, only one store near me that will take them and I have already populated all the tanks in my house. Lol.
This is the first time I’ve had live bearers. I have no room at the Inn either. If the fry make it, I’ll try to donate to my lfs or Petsmart. I would love to keep them because the gold sailfin Molly is a stunning fish.

They are very beautiful. I just let nature take over and make my son put extra fish in one of his tanks. I have cory cats that will not stop laying eggs in one tank and guppies that are just rediculas when it comes to breeding in another. I have a pair of rams that had their first batch of eggs 5 days ago. No fry this time. I do nothing at all to try and breed any of them. They seem to be happy enough to want share more of themselves. Lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back