20 Gallon Figure Eight Puff Tank And Any Tankmates?

Hmmmm a power head??? maybe i should look into that for my GSP's. One of my GSP's loves to run across the bubbles from a bubble wand that i have in the back of the tank, and just like yours with the power head he will ride the bubble all day long lol.
I think a small power head will add a little something new for them since they do get bored easily.

For sure, its a Hydor Koralia Nano 900 so nothing too powerfull. If they arnt surfing in front of it they lilke to swim above and drop down into the current to get pushed across the tank, its great to watch them having fun.
Thank you so much for the pictures! Really cool tank! Good thing i love vals, because im probably going to use alot of them haha

As for now, i think ill stick with one figure eight puffer for my 20g...

lets just "say" that i got a 30g, would that be large enough for two?

Hmmmm a power head??? maybe i should look into that for my GSP's. One of my GSP's loves to run across the bubbles from a bubble wand that i have in the back of the tank, and just like yours with the power head he will ride the bubble all day long lol.
I think a small power head will add a little something new for them since they do get bored easily.

For sure, its a Hydor Koralia Nano 900 so nothing too powerfull. If they arnt surfing in front of it they lilke to swim above and drop down into the current to get pushed across the tank, its great to watch them having fun.
Thank you so much for the pictures! Really cool tank! Good thing i love vals, because im probably going to use alot of them haha

As for now, i think ill stick with one figure eight puffer for my 20g...

lets just "say" that i got a 30g, would that be large enough for two?
30(US)G would be fine for 2

I agree, although having just two runs the risk of the bigger/more-aggressive one picking on the other. If NMonks is around he might tout the benefits of overcrowding in a situation like this. I don't have the expertise to comment either way.

I also have a de-facto diy powerhead. It's really just the return from my sump, but at 400G/hr it gets a decent current going. All my fish swim in and out of the current, although I'm not sure if I could say they're enjoying it. Just seems like something they do.

And Livewire... beautiful tank!! How have you managed to keep plants with your puffers? Mine are well fed and have tons of caves and whatnot to explore, but still chewed up and destroyed every single plant I've put in there with them. Kudos!

I agree, although having just two runs the risk of the bigger/more-aggressive one picking on the other. If NMonks is around he might tout the benefits of overcrowding in a situation like this. I don't have the expertise to comment either way.

I also have a de-facto diy powerhead. It's really just the return from my sump, but at 400G/hr it gets a decent current going. All my fish swim in and out of the current, although I'm not sure if I could say they're enjoying it. Just seems like something they do.

And Livewire... beautiful tank!! How have you managed to keep plants with your puffers? Mine are well fed and have tons of caves and whatnot to explore, but still chewed up and destroyed every single plant I've put in there with them. Kudos!

Allright so its sounding like im going to go with a sing figure eight puff which im ok with since i love their more so rounded appearance and bright coloration! Basically a sw fish, or at least looks like one.
um for feeding, meaty foods right? bloodworms shrimp etc?

Allright so its sounding like im going to go with a sing figure eight puff which im ok with since i love their more so rounded appearance and bright coloration! Basically a sw fish, or at least looks like one.

Yes meat is the only thing my puffers will eat!! this is the menue they eat from, Bloodworm, Brine Shrimp, Frozen Fish, Cockles, Snails, Fresh Prawn.

I tend to feed mine 4-5 days per week, they are very greedy indeed so im carefull not to over feed them.

Yes meat is the only thing my puffers will eat!! this is the menue they eat from, Bloodworm, Brine Shrimp, Frozen Fish, Cockles, Snails, Fresh Prawn.

I tend to feed mine 4-5 days per week, they are very greedy indeed so im carefull not to over feed them.

Ok cool! Does freshwater fish do justice? My mom is allergic to seafood...
Also, would the occasional baby marmokreb crayfish be an ok treat? Might put up the 10gallon as a clone tank....that way i can breed snails and the marmokreb crays as live food.

Figure 8 are more of a low-end brackish fish. Green Spotted Puffers can migrate to full marine as they mature.

I feed my puffers mostly live food as well, however I have had some luck feeding them these pellets:
http://www.petco.com/product/112088/New-Life-Spectrum-Large-Fish-Formula-3mm-Sinking-Pellet-Fish-Food.aspx

They're coarse and help grind down the teeth a bit. I also feed mine Bloodworm, Brine Shrimp, Mysis Shrimp, Half-shell Clam, Snails, Fresh Prawn, and Krill. You have to be careful with the species of snail you feed them, as some, like Malaysian Trumpet, have a shell that's too hard and can break puffer teeth. Lastly, they'll also appreciate something live to hunt down, like ghost shrimp, for a special treat. I'm not sure about crayfish though. They're tough buggers and while I think the puffers could handle them, they might get hurt in the process (the ones you mentioned only get 1" long, right?). My gut feeling is to not mix the two, but I'll defer to someone with more experience on that one.

Figure 8 are more of a low-end brackish fish. Green Spotted Puffers can migrate to full marine as they mature.

I feed my puffers mostly live food as well, however I have had some luck feeding them these pellets:
http://www.petco.com/product/112088/New-Life-Spectrum-Large-Fish-Formula-3mm-Sinking-Pellet-Fish-Food.aspx

They're coarse and help grind down the teeth a bit. I also feed mine Bloodworm, Brine Shrimp, Mysis Shrimp, Half-shell Clam, Snails, Fresh Prawn, and Krill. You have to be careful with the species of snail you feed them, as some, like Malaysian Trumpet, have a shell that's too hard and can break puffer teeth. Lastly, they'll also appreciate something live to hunt down, like ghost shrimp, for a special treat. I'm not sure about crayfish though. They're tough buggers and while I think the puffers could handle them, they might get hurt in the process (the ones you mentioned only get 1" long, right?). My gut feeling is to not mix the two, but I'll defer to someone with more experience on that one.

Firstly i was talking aboyut freshwater white fish as food, not keeping the puffers in freshwater...lol but yes im far more than just aware of the water requirements of the two species...hence why id like to go with a figure eight.

And thanks for the food suggestions! I will have to check out the pellets that you have luck with. As for the crays, i was talking about when they clone and the babies are small/not able to do harm or defend against a set of puffer teeth, but i do believe marmokrebs do stay small even at adult age..i think their like 3" when fully at their peak of growth? Idk i need to look into that more..

Quick question, how do you guys measure the salinity of the water? I see these "SG 1.003" readings around the web but I'm not sure how to get the reading. Thank you in advance!

Quick question, how do you guys measure the salinity of the water? I see these "SG 1.003" readings around the web but I'm not sure how to get the reading. Thank you in advance!

You use a hydrometer. It measures the relative-density/specific-gravity (SG) of the water which correlates to the salinity. There are typically two types of hydrometers you would use in aquaria, both relying on a floating scale. Here's an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ3FDMzvEO0

You can pick these up at pet/fish stores.

You use a hydrometer. It measures the relative-density/specific-gravity (SG) of the water which correlates to the salinity. There are typically two types of hydrometers you would use in aquaria, both relying on a floating scale. Here's an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ3FDMzvEO0

You can pick these up at pet/fish stores.

Ah, so that's what those things are. Thanks for the info man!

Most reactions

Back